Misc. Gear

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since we're talking about safety.

I've been into riding for over three decades and thought I had a good understanding of safety. I recently bought a couple of full face helmets for the missus and me to be more comfortable on the cold highway rides. I've always thought that a full face was a bit safer but that my shorty had me covered, lets say 90% as good. I was surprised to see the following graphics on helmet impact areas.
helmetDamage.gif

I really had no idea that the face area was that susceptible to injury. I think that most of the helmets you see, football, ski, etc. rely on you protecting your face with your hands, but durring a motorcycle crash your hands don't make it up in time or are pulled back by the friction of the road.

I'm no safety nazi. I'm only posting this because I really didn't know and was suprised by the info. I'm not sure I can wear a full face around town when it's hot out but I'm going to try to wear it on the hiway.

Attachments

• busthelmet.jpg
    busthelmet.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 133
  • busthelmet.jpg
    busthelmet.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 133
Statistics are a view of what has happened . Which may or may not indicate what will happen. Most motorcycle accidents I've read about happened in town or on rural roads. When it gets hot I leave my face shield part open to let air in.

slabghost":k82pwn1k said:
Statistics are a view of what has happened . Which may or may not indicate what will happen. Most motorcycle accidents I've read about happened in town or on rural roads. When it gets hot I leave my face shield part open to let air in.
the problem with accidents, is that no two are the same. a full face does cover most of the things that can happen to your head. the others not so much. i also leave my visor cracked in the summer. and try to use helmets with good vents. most of the crash helmets that i keep as reminders, have damage on the left, or right side. and most jackets on the shoulder or elbow.

Here in the desert I now wear full gear year round. Yeah it's hot in the summer and my t shirts are soaked and clinging to me when I get home because of my padded leather jacket but I think I owe it to myself and my wife to be as safe as possible. Btw, my helmet has the dark inner visor so I can ride with the full visor up. :)

I find I can't go back to a half helmet even with a barn door of a fairing. The noise is too much, and I wear ear plugs. I leave the visor of my full face open even at highway speeds and I can't tell the difference between it and a half helmet for vision. Jacket is a different story. My perforated leather works great on the VFR but I roast on the goldwing.

Latest posts