mongruel getting a 86 1200 engine added to the bloodline

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe, I was looking up part numbers and see that the 1200 and the 1000 call for the same o-ring size on the oil orifice, the one that goes from the head to the block, but the part numbers are a little different for the actual orifice, the piece the o-rings go on. Have you investigated if there's any difference yet? The Honda numbers are the same in the front, 12238. But the endings are different. The 1000 is 12238 371 000 and the 1200 is 12238 mg9 000. I am guessing they are the same. Maybe Dan can cross reference these for us.

im think there the same ...but the 1200 may have needed more oil supply and is bigger for the hydro lash keeper....if it dose i think id stay with it ...for extra oil supply to heads ....hmmmm good point ...but thats at first thought anyway ....

im still cleaning away on the 12 and doing yard stuff and firewood....

Just checked them out and the 1200 has a larger opening on the motor side. The 1000 has some cross drilled holes. Unless someone warns me that they are important for something I don't see, I'll use the 1200 orifices. I took some pics but can't figure out my not so smart phone.

Here's an end view of the two orifices. You can see the 1200 is going to allow a lot more flow of oil.

Here's the side shots where the cross drilled holes can be seen. I think I'm going with the 1200 since the oil pump is a 1200. It should have no trouble draining back into the sump.

Wow quite a difference in those 2.

I agree, better to match orifice to block since it may affect oil pressure/delivery to other parts if not.
Don't know, just kinda talking out of my ass thinking mechanically that makes most sense.

The 1200 hydraulic adjusters would likely need a more stout oil supply, again just guessing but I think the cam bearing and rocker shafts in the 1000 head will allow only so much but I think more oil here is more better.

Being that it has the giant return below and that it's the same size as the 1200, it should be fine. I haven't looked closely at that yet. I did follow the flow diagram in the gallery and it seems like it'll be fine.

i do :headscratch: :builder: know that the 1200 oil pump is suppose to be driven 11% faster than 1000s do ....so this is part of the deal also and is probably best fiteed with with the 1200 pini...restricting this oil flow down to 1000 pin with the bypass hole will be a miss match id say and may cause problems else where with to much load on pump maybe ...im going with 1200 pin i think for sure :fishin: :mrgreen:

Makes sense, but I don't think it is going to matter as the 1000 heads seem to hold up fine with their oiling. The extra capacity would just be sent elsewhere down the line.

dan filipi":2sifskbq said:
With all these crossover mods going on Imma thinkin we should make a new "Hybrid" forum.

Either way, for now I'm moving this thread to the Goldwing Customizing forum.
I'll second the "Hybrid" forum! (Course were talking about the bikes right......not the Members?) :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yeah this thread could use some splitting and moving of posts since the topic has sorta detoured to fitting early heads to a 1200.
Good info easily lost in a sea of forgotten paths to it.

yes info is hard sort through good and bad ....no ekvh i dont realy think theres a problem here at all the oil return caves to the crankcase are certainly big enough to handle any oil supply ...my thinking is the 12 has the best oil supply of all oldwings apparently that sould help not hurt the 1200 mod with hotter cams and bigger carbs and the probability of higher rpm sweetspot ...the heads will run cooler i think with nore oil running though them...im cant remember if the water pump shaft that runs with the oil pump for main pump is any diiferent than the rear scavenging oil pump for the rear cover ...this is the one that rum 11% faster ...it is probably running both pumps im not sure on that yet...still no big deal yet im rather convince this was done for the hydro heads and reduce water cavity with the bigger piston sleeves of the 1200

today may be the day for heads to be installed on 1200 ...im to tired for much more yard or firewood today ...and who knows the big storm liable to get here and turn things wet and cold :builder:

its windy ...but the heads are on ,,,,there is no interference with the pistons hitting the head gaskits ....so thats big ...just had to custom fit the outside headbolt holes where the pins were at ...not off realy just tight i like the way that worked ...im not using any gaskit goo so this will be a extreme test for the after markit gaskits ....i will take some pics soon ..need to move some stuff in the doghouse before rain....

Fire it up! I decided to wait on my clutch until I can get a lift to use. These old bones aren't going to be happy climbing under a truck for a few days. I might try shaving some off the heads tonight, but I think it's best if I try and find a shop to take a few thousandths off. Joe, did ever do washers under the valve springs? I have been considering that too, but not sure where they're supposed to go or how much.