Motor block breather tube

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auctioneeral

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What to do with breather tube coming out of engine block. Where or what can i do with that. It used to hook up to air breather box but running single carb i have no wheres to hook it up.

You can just get a small pod filter from a parts store and put on it or just run it back and under the bike. It will collect enough vapors to occasionally drip though if run back so don't freak if it does.

The hose that used to go to the filter box is for fresh air/vent into the crankcase. You could tape a piece of foam around it, or insert a small fuel filter into that end, but if left open, you stand a chance of road crap(dust, rain, etc.) getting into the crankcase. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153524#p153524:21vp6gbc said:
AApple » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 am[/url]":21vp6gbc]
The hose that used to go to the filter box is for fresh air/vent into the crankcase. You could tape a piece of foam around it, or insert a small fuel filter into that end, but if left open, you stand a chance of road crap(dust, rain, etc.) getting into the crankcase. :good:
An inline fuel filter or a turbo blow off valve filter will work well also.

i would say just run a open tube down and point it at the ground in front of the rear tire, i used 1 of those K&N mini crank case filters when i put the 83 engine in the beater and 40,000 miles later, i kicked out the shifter seal and the seal where the wires for the shift and netural light come out of the case for 2 good oil leak's as the filter was clogged shut!!! and it was the best cone filter i could buy, guess it would have been ok if i removed and cleaned it but i did not! i won't do that again!!! so for my 2 cents open tube down and forget it

The air filter I got came with a hose fitting so I used some clear tubing to vent the crankcase to it. I like more the idea just vent it off, simple.

I never thought of a pod filter clogging and over pressurizing the crankcase, good heads up there!

Yeah, the VW air cleaner I got has a nipple for it. I like the idea of there being a little negative pressure on it to make sure any gases (gasoline that gets past the rings, water vapor from condensation) get the heck out of my oil. That's why Honda put it there and these engines run 100,000 miles so I think they knew what they were doing. It can be a diagnostic tool too. If you see a lot of oily soot around that port inside the breather it may mean it's time for rings. I think it's important enough that if your air filter doesn't have a place to connect it, you should make one. :salute: