My 1981 GL1100I bad slow steering

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
I have a question for some of you. I own a 1981 and a 1982 GL1100I my 81 has 32000 miles and my 82 has 63000 miles. The 81 seems to have such a heavy feel to the steering at slow speeds feels like it wants to fall over and with two up it almost has a time or to. I removed the 3lb weight and that helped some so I put the 18 inch wheel from my 82 on my 81 and thats makes the bike feel better on dirt roads but did not help the heavy feel when turning at slow speeds. I like both bikes but ride the 81 because of lower miles . The 82 feels a little better to me going around in my yard and I am wondering is there a cure for the heavy feel for the 81 . I have not taken the 82 out on the road as I purchased it for back up parts for the 81 but it can be made road ready soon.
This is my first Goldwing bike I have owned bike for 50 yrs and also work on all my own bike . But I have not had a bike with this much weight on the front end.
Any ideas or in put will be welcome.
thanks.
Sonny <///><
PS is the handle bars bigger on the 82? it just feel better to me than the 81.

Attachments

• weekend photo009.JPG
    weekend photo009.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 190
i have an 82 and 83 ......the 83 had been in a wreck it needed front forks and other stuff ...when it was fixed i couldnt beleave how heavy and crummy the handling was from the 82 standard ...when the weather started getting cooler i pu all the 83 fairing bags trunk and stuff on the 82 .....when it was done the 82 handle like it always did nimble and effortless ......

this winter when i can im going to find out why all the obvious stuff is all good .....so there might be something between the bikes like in my case :mrgreen:

At low speed (parking lots & stop signs) my 82 Standard feels top heavy, unbalanced and just plain hard to manuver. It's even worse with a passenger. My 83 Interstate handles like a dream in the same situations. It feels like it sits lower and I can just about come to a stop without putting my feet down even though it feels a bit bulkier than the 82 Standard. I don't know why the Standard feels so crappy in low speed manuvering. Such an unbelievable difference between the two.

Sounds like its just a bad design. Lots of weight on the front end. Have you adjusted the suspension? Are the tires in good shape? I have heard that worn tires or even a more quality tire can improve the handleing. How are the bearings in the column? Is the column tight? Im just spit balling here. A loose head or worn bearings will also make it feel lunky on the front. But I do think that those years are just not the best at slower speeds. My 84 I can puts along in trafic at about 3-5mph two up with no issues. They are big heavy machines though...

Try moving the handle bars on the 81 to the same position as the 82. My 80 and 81 both handle pretty well at slow speeds. Not like my lighter bikes but not bad.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120042#p120042:3ru5jvwg said:
Ansimp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:20 pm[/url]":3ru5jvwg]
Time travelling??? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
:smilie_happy: Every time I ride! Seriously though the bars dictate the position of where you are on the bike. Which has everything to do with your balance and leverage and the feel of the bike.

This is what I discovered back then. I adjusted the handlebars so that they are straight inline with the forks and that made all the difference in the world. And just for personal comfort, I pulled them back just a little further so they're not exactly straight. I also adjusted the rear shocks to the lowest position, and between the two alterations it became like a completely different bike. Although it still will never measure up to the '83.

I haven't ridden for a couple years, but I found a new doctor a hundred miles away. I'm already doing a little better after just one visit. Maybe I'll air up the tires, blow the dust off, and take it out for a spin and see how it goes.