My first post want stock pipes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glasshead

Reaction score
I have been lurking in the background even before I had a ride. I just bought an 83 Interstate that needs lots of TLC. She runs fine, but all the wiring is ripped out and there are empty holes looking back at me where the radio and whatever else was in there was, but no longer is. I have the headlight, taillight, turn signals, and horn working. No running lights; I have the panel, but no wires to it. It's great reading everything from you guys. Makes me feel like I belong. The last bike I had was 35 years ago. Got a wild hair and decided to try it again. I teach in an elementary school, so the kids really think its cool. I started my career on a 750 Honda, streatched forks and tear drop tank. Now that I'm not in my 20's, this GW is right up my alley. A little heavy, but I took the riding course and am getting better with her every time I take her out. I may not share a lot, but I just wanted to let you know I am here. I don't have the cash to spend to get her all the way pretty, but i would love to get stock pipes back on her. I'm in Lexington, ky. Like I said, she runs fine, and not too loud. Just would be nice to be closer to stealth, like a GW was created.

welcome from southern indiana glasshead....stock pipes are great but hard to come by in good shape good luck on that ...glad you like us and jump right in that how we help everyone the best we can :mrgreen:

Thanx joedrum. Will do. Once I get a picture I'll put an avatar. I can live comfortably without the stock pipes if I must.

Welcome from New Jersey! :clapping:

Glad to have you onboard! ~O~ is right, you can find a parts bike with a lot of good stuff!

I have a spare set of stock pipes, but they need some welding and are not in the best shape. Do you have access to or know how to weld? As a mattter of fact, they are going out in the recycle trash this week otherwise, I need room.

Welcome aboard, we like it when people join in :)
If your handy with a wrench some guys replace there exhaust with Harley Mufflers you can pick them up pretty cheap and it doesn't look like to hard of a job.

I have no problem with a wrench. Welding I have not done. There are other little fixes I need more than pipes. Just thought I would put feelers out in case someone had a decent set that they swaped out and were needing to get rid of. I have to be careful with the wife as well. She did real well not loosing it when I bought the bike. I have not had one ( bike that is) since we have been together, almost 30 years. I doubt she will be so cool if I start throwing money at it. Her last words on the subject, " I just now (20 years) got used to you driving I 75 80 miles a day, now you go and up the anty."
I have already used the how to posts on my clutch cable. Next I check the valve clearance and maybe attemp to recalb carbs if I need to adjust the valves.

:hi: Welcome Glasshead..From central Cal....Reading all the posts will give you a lot of informatrion...some of the posts you will probably want to save for later use as you get further into your project.....Put them in a binder so you can find them again when you need them...then just enjoy the forum and the great people on it...usualy if members have spare parts you can usualy doo prety good by them....and the advice flows freely...glad to have you aboard however if you are a teacher Please don't grade me on my spelling or grammer....My fingers are blind and most of the time i don't know where my mind is :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Bob

No problem on the grammar OR spelling. I work with Kindergarten and 1st grade.
How do you save posts? I was tryiing to save the tutorials. And how do you get those neat smilies in the posts?

rich

The way I save posts is by saving the link to them in my Bookmarks (Favorites) folder, rename them what makes sense to me.

The smilies are on the left side when typing your post.
Click on each one to add it to the post. :yes:

Hey, Glasshead, welcome from just down the road in Berea. If I ever land back in town, we could get together for a ride.

If you are going to work on your bike..get a Honda shop manual..they are on ebay once in awhile or a reprint new is $35, same with pipes on eBay if you are patient they can be had for around $100, run some sea foam through your carbs..a tank or two, do reset your valves and synch your carbs..how's too's are on several sites, and CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELTS..if they are old and break you will not be happy..bent valves and holed piston can be the result.

Welcome from Las vegas NV just go slow on the wife after you get the WING right she may even get on and ride???? :smilie_happy: I got my 83 I home cleaned up and running right and my loving wife say (I'm going to get my lic. and take this bike and you can get another one !!!! :cheeky: ) After I got up from the floor I thought about it and setup the class for her BUT LIFE happened so maybe in the spring she can get the class done, I'll finsh make the WING pretty and look for a new one maybe a 1500 ..