NCScooter's 1000 build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93026#p93026:28fdjceg said:
NCScooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 pm[/url]":28fdjceg]
And was there a resistor in my boots? I pulled those screw/plug snaps out and it doesn't appear that any thing else is up there.

The space in the boot doesn't look deep enough to hold all that. Wonder if my springs have disintegrated and I just see the end of the resistors? Should they have popped out? The screws definitely looked like that.

The resistors on mine just fall out...it's the springs I have to dig out. Some folks will remove the resistors & springs, and put in something like a piece of welding rod in there to replace the resistors. Perhaps yours has/had something like that, or it's possible the wires were never made for the resistors.

I looked again this am, poked in there w/ an awl, it really seems that there is just a dead-end socket in there not much deeper than the screw thingies. Gonna check some voltages and put it back together, mumbling incantations. Can't really get a picture.

Anyone know for sure if the GL1000 used the resistor wires? :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93108#p93108:30ddvb0y said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm[/url]":30ddvb0y]
I just checked Paul's site at c5ignitions.com.
Complete with plug wires, coils, and ignition housing to head is $549 plus shipping.

That's twice what I paid for the bike. :smilie_happy: If I were to get, say, a coil from a cbr600, could I use 8mm suppression wires on it w/o a resister? I don't have a radio yet, although I might down the line. :music3:

I'm not sure 8mm wires will fit in those coils. The NP08 coils I got use 7 mm.

As far as the resistor goes you'll need to find out what those coils need.
I'm running the stock '83 3 ohm resistor on mine.

Been awhile, been fudging with the carbs, waiting on parts, got some 7mm plug wire called packard 440, solid core, outside diameter seems smaller than oem. Also got the cbr coils for $25 off fleabay. Is it okay to wrap a little electric tape around the wire where it goes into the coil and plug end?

The main jet needle on #4 was pitted. What's up with that? Waiting on one in the mail. Tank is a little rusted, read the clymer manual, sounded like removal would be simple. Those bozos thaought it would come out w/o removing the rear wheel. Gonna clean it on the bike with the toilet bowl cleaner. A capitalist entity named after our currency and top ranking army officer had quarts for 1.50. Clerk gave me an odd look. Little did she know I am the master of the odd look. Most folks say I'm the oddest looking thing they've seen. Here's some pictures of my tank to make you feel good about yours. Used my shop vac to blow air through for a few minutes to dry out the last few ounces of whatever that was at the bottom. No comments on how spotless my garage is, thank you. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93656#p93656:35u97zpz said:
NCScooter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 pm[/url]":35u97zpz]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93108#p93108:35u97zpz said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm[/url]":35u97zpz]
Complete with plug wires, coils, and ignition housing to head is $549 plus shipping.

That's twice what I paid for the bike. :smilie_happy: If I were to get, say, a coil from a cbr600, could I use 8mm suppression wires on it w/o a resister? I don't have a radio yet, although I might down the line. :music3:

There are guys on this forum (and other forums) who spend far more than $500 and STILL don't have a reliable running bike with a functioning ignition. I enjoy tinkering as much as the next guy but in the end, how much do you save when mixing and matching parts not designed to work together? Sometimes you save, sometimes you empty your wallet and still can't ride. :rtfm: :rtfm:

Please don't read this as a rant against anyone. In my own bike collection, I have NO stock bikes...lol.
We offer the highest technology products because some people just want to turn the key and go for a ride.
If you add up ignition, coil, connector, 4 wires, and sexy aluminum housing, I think we have the most for the least AND we manufacture everything possible here in the USA. :music:

Direct quote from my Father (and mentor) when he started his company 20 years ago..."I'd rather apologize for the price once than apologize for our lack of quality forever". I think of that every day, whether i see Dad or not. He is sooooo correct!

I'll shut up now :thank_you:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94149#p94149:1pc684e9 said:
C5Performance » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:55 pm[/url]":1pc684e9]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93656#p93656:1pc684e9 said:
NCScooter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:38 pm[/url]":1pc684e9]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93108#p93108:1pc684e9 said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm[/url]":1pc684e9]

There are guys on this forum (and other forums) who spend far more than $500 and STILL don't have a reliable running bike with a functioning ignition. I enjoy tinkering as much as the next guy but in the end, how much do you save when mixing and matching parts not designed to work together? Sometimes you save, sometimes you empty your wallet and still can't ride. :rtfm: :rtfm:

Please don't read this as a rant against anyone. In my own bike collection, I have NO stock bikes...lol.
We offer the highest technology products because some people just want to turn the key and go for a ride.
If you add up ignition, coil, connector, 4 wires, and sexy aluminum housing, I think we have the most for the least AND we manufacture everything possible here in the USA. :music:

Direct quote from my Father (and mentor) when he started his company 20 years ago..."I'd rather apologize for the price once than apologize for our lack of quality forever". I think of that every day, whether i see Dad or not. He is sooooo correct!

I'll shut up now :thank_you:

I wasn't complaining about the price of your gadget, I was poking fun at my budget (or lack of) and asking for help and experience with what I can afford. Sorry if I hit a sensitive spot.

you didn't make anyone feel sensitive ... hes just pointing out how much trouble it is in time and money to sort out on of these ignitions that are just junk after all these yrs and no parts to work with ...