Neat place to work on your ride.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've often thought of setting up a place like that. Sure would be nice to have the money to do it. Probably not enough around here that would use it to make it pay though.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149064#p149064:2z1wgx2j said:
slabghost » Tue May 19, 2015 9:41 am[/url]":2z1wgx2j]
Probably not enough around here that would use it to make it pay though.

Ed zachary.....there used to be one of those shops down the street from us. REALLY nice place, with A/C-heat too! Even had ASE certified techs on-hand to help with info and such, along with computers at every station with Alldata/Mitchell access. Started off looking like it was gunna do really well, but then the low-lifes with no $$$ started coming in, tearing stuff up, getting themselves hurt, tying the lifts up waiting for parts they couldn't afford, and the place went down hill quickly. I think it stayed open for about 2 years before they gave up on it. It's now just a huge storage facility for classic/collector cars. They now make cash from storage fees, and maintenance on the cars. :builder:
It's a great idea....and I guess in certain areas it might do well

Had them in Philly at one point too. But, same fate. Too many idiots that got hurt from stupidity, dropping cars off the lifts for not setting them correctly, or, as mentioned, getting a car up on a lift and then not having the parts (or tools) to finish a job. That and too many not paying.

It might work better today with credit cards for guaranteeing payments compared to back then, but most of the people using the lifts really didn't know how to properly work on their own cars. :cheeky:

Every Navy base I was ever stationed at had a Hobby Shop for just about everything from wood working to auto repairs. That is one thing I miss about living near a Navy base.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149080#p149080:2a9jkuk7 said:
brianinpa » Tue May 19, 2015 12:26 pm[/url]":2a9jkuk7]
Every Navy base I was ever stationed at had a Hobby Shop for just about everything from wood working to auto repairs. That is one thing I miss about living near a Navy base.
I was thinking the same thing, Brian. Even had bays set up for painting and all the tools you would ever need!

I spent more time in the wood-working hobby shop, but I also used several of the others through the years. I think the cost was $1.00 per hour or some other ridiculous amount. (No $1 wasn't much: the money was used to support funtions on the base so the thought was - how can anything be support from these charges?) If you used the places a lot, you could even buy a monthly or annual pass.