Need help, shock fluid level.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just drained the oil out of my 83 Intestate shocks as best as I could butwhen filling with the recommended amount (10.5oz, 365ml) through the air hole the shock is now full, and I mean full to the rim, when sitting on the centre stand. This doesn't seem right to me. I'm guessing that I didn't get all the old oil out since there has to some room for air to allow compression. As it sits now it would hydraulic lock right? I was thinking of filling the shock full while my son and I stand on the floor boards to compress the shock. Does that seem right?

The oil that came out was actually in good shape so I think that they had been recently rebuilt.

Thanks.

Jorg

I've read you remove them and turn them upside down to drain. Reinstall and pump the fluid in. Pushing the bike down then letting up it will suck in fluid on it's way up. When it comes out compressing you are done.

Here is a video of how I refilled my shocks:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGfE6j0B1A[/video]

(updated video link-aapple)

Looked in my 80 to 81 Honda service manual. Not sure if this applies to your 83 but this is their procedure: I left out what you had to do to drain the oil........"Drain and refill one fork at a time. Work the suspension up and down to completely drain the fork. Re-install the drain plug. Raise the front wheel off the ground by placing a block under the engine. Remove the fork cap. Refill the fork with the specified amount of ATF. Note: Removing the top fork spring will facilitate refilling the fork. Capacity after draining: 220 cc (7 oz)"
I think working the fork up and down is key to getting all the fluid out. Raising the front end off the ground is key to getting all the fluid back in. I haven't done it myself but soon will have to do it. Does the top spring come out easy after removing the fork cap? Let me know how it works for you.
Hope this helps. REMEMBER, this is from an 80-81 service manual and is for the FRONT shocks. :rocks:

book for 80-81 says rear shock oil capacity is 365cc or 12.5 oz. Oil is of course ATF and this is from my FSM.

I tried to use 365ml and I did use the shock fill method in the video. I used a funnel that I cut to just jam fit into the air hole and it worked very well. I will go with the "when it comes out compressing you are done" method as that makes most sense to me. It just goes to show how much oil remains behind even when you use compressed air to blow it out.

Jorg

Caution in the Factory Service Manual states that laying the rear shocks on their side will drain the oil from them.

slabghost":2v1z5ipj said:
Caution in the Factory Service Manual states that laying the rear shocks on their side will drain the oil from them.

That might be a good option to finish off draining them if there was enough time available. I tried draining one shock by gravity and ended up having to hold them upright, then upside down to drain, then upright, then upside down, ad nauseam, and it seemed to work but slowly. Compressed air was much more spectacular.

Jorg

Draining and filling the shocks can get complicated. You have oil on the inside of the actual damper, as well as the oil contained within the outer air chambers. Draining ALL of the oil out will take some time, as will filling them completely.
The feed holes for the dampers are at the very top, by the air line entrance. Turning the shock upside down will drain ALL of the oil out of the air chamber, but only SOME of the oil out of the damper. With the shock upside down, the oil will not be able to drain from the damper due to the oil in the air chamber blocking the holes in the damper...this is why turning it up/down will always get more oil out.
When filling the shocks thru the air hole, since the feed holes for the dampers are at the top, the damper will only get a small amount of oil in the damper unless the shock is completely compressed, which forces the oil into the damper. After fully compressing the shock a few times, the damper will be full. Basically, riding it over some rough road, or a few parking lot bumps should do that, unless you have some other means of compressing the complete shock assy.
I stated the holes in the shock in this pic, but I really meant the damper... :Doh2:
hth :mrgreen:
gwsk.JPG

Thanks for that information.

Not having the shock apart I searched all over the internet looking for and explanation of how the internals work. I assumed the damper was a sealed unit inside the air shock. Now I know why I didn't get the full volume out trying to drain it.

Jorg

89-300ce":2745ojse said:

Not having the shock apart I searched all over the internet looking for and explanation of how the internals work. I assumed the damper was a sealed unit inside the air shock. Now I know why I didn't get the full volume out trying to drain it.

Jorg

Take a look at AApples how to Here

dan filipi":31m3fg7y said:
89-300ce":31m3fg7y said:

Jorg

Take a look at AApples how to Here

Nice!
I guess that's a characteristic of the .png format. Since it's bitmap only the title can be searched by google.

Jorg

89-300ce":3kl1ex9e said:
Nice!
I guess that's a characteristic of the .png format. Since it's bitmap only the title can be searched by google.

Jorg

I didn't know that.
Is that a search using Goggles images search?

dan filipi":hch49mcw said:
I didn't know that.
Is that a search using Goggles images search?

I don't think it matters. Bitmap is like a picture and you can't search or edit text on a picture. Goggles images searches through the titles/names (eg. shock_fill.jpg) of the images or a reference to that image on a text page. The good thing is that no one else can easily edit the picture either (unless they use a photoshop, but then nothings safe from that).

Jorg

I'll be starting this in a couple of weeks.. got the bumper pads and will be ordering the seals.. and hopefully progressive springs... and have the rebuild sequence from AApple bookmarked

Good deal, Joe! I'm just a phone call away if ya need any more info.
t8808.gif

Latest posts