• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need one rear air shock

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Greybeard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was rebuilding the air shocks on my 82 Aspencade and discovered that one of them had serious grooves in the part of the shock where the seal rides up and down. Now I know why the rear was leaking. Oh, I installed Progressive's replacement springs, can run the shocks flat now if I need to. Like I said, I only need one, but if someone has a pair they don't want to break up, that's fine too. They're all over e-bay, but I feel the folks on this forum are much more trustworthy. Thanks

54Greybeard":2pof5dpy said:
They're all over e-bay, but I feel the folks on this forum are much more trustworthy. Thanks

Without a doubt.

I should have a shock from an 81 and an 83, yours is an 82. Might be different?

dan filipi":3aupdlj5 said:
54Greybeard":3aupdlj5 said:
They're all over e-bay, but I feel the folks on this forum are much more trustworthy. Thanks

Without a doubt.

I should have a shock from an 81 and an 83, yours is an 82. Might be different?
I know '81 and '82 were the same.

I've got an '83 standard, and am looking for a set of air shocks. Anyone have a pair in good shape (i.e. holds air, boots aren't torn or ripped, bushings in good shape)? I'm looking for a 12" pair of HD air shocks as well, since they'd be a lot newer than a pair of OEM GW shocks. I think I have progressive shocks on mine, and hate 'em. Can't find the right spanner wrench to adjust the 5-position shock collar, and they're a little stiff for my liking. Would like to try a set of air shocks, in the hopes that they give a softer ride, and would be MUCH easier to adjust with a hand pump.

bronzestarvue":baqkpp32 said:
I've got an '83 standard, and am looking for a set of air shocks. Anyone have a pair in good shape (i.e. holds air, boots aren't torn or ripped, bushings in good shape)? I'm looking for a 12" pair of HD air shocks as well, since they'd be a lot newer than a pair of OEM GW shocks. I think I have progressive shocks on mine, and hate 'em. Can't find the right spanner wrench to adjust the 5-position shock collar, and they're a little stiff for my liking. Would like to try a set of air shocks, in the hopes that they give a softer ride, and would be MUCH easier to adjust with a hand pump.

I bought a progressive spanner tool and had to use a 1/2 inch block of wood near the hinge to get it to fit right. Works like a charm that way.

Well, I "won" an auction on eBay for a pair of '83 GW airshocks, with the lines and single air inlet. They chrome bodies look to be in good shape, as does the rubber boots. Will probalby have to get new bushings, or use the ones from the shocks that are on there now. I also have a bid on a set of 12" Harley air shocks. I should have both sets of air shocks by next weekend, and I think I'm going to use the Harley ones first. They're only 4 years old, bushings and sleeves look pretty good, so all I'd have to get would be new Shrader valves. I'll just air them up separately with a hand pump, and go from there. So I just might have a set of '83 GW air shocks, along with a set of Progressive-looking shocks, on the market in about a week or two. If so, I'll post some pics. Trying to cut my losses on the purchase of these two sets of air shocks, so I'll probably sell the GW ones and ones I'm taking off for maybe $150, and I'll include the two spanner wrenches I bought that don't work.

I'll keep ya posted...

Got my '83 GW air shocks, and '07 HD air shocks. I'm going to install the HD ones though, because they're only 4 years old, and look like new, including the bushings. I have to get the air valves for them, and am hoping to get around to installing them this Veterans Day weekend. I think I'm going to run into a problem though.

I don't want to run air lines, just air each one up with a hand pump directly at the valve, like I've been able to do on other bikes I've installed these air shocks on. However, I think it's going to be VERY difficult to reach the air valve, whether it's facing to the front or the back. So one option I was thinking of was mounting them upside down, with the air valve at the bottom. Is there anything inherently wrong with mounting them upside down?

I'll have to look and see if there's a hand pump out there that has a flexible hose that can attach to the air valve. I've never used a compressor, because they put out too much air. The most I've ever had in these air shocks was 20psi, with a passenger, and they're normally set between 5-10psi. If I can't get a pump to reach the valves up top, and mounting them upside down isn't an option, I guess I have to run air lines into a central fitting.

So once those HD air shocks are on, and I've had a chance to do some road testing, I'll most likely try to sell the GW air shocks I got along with the stock spring shocks that are on there now. I'd like to try and recoup some of the money I spent on buying two sets of air shocks, lol!

What say ye?

I think upside down the oil will come out if you let pressure out.
There might be a problem with the dampener rod needing to be in oil for them to work, I can't say for sure.

Is it the hoses and fittings your needing?
I may have them from the parts bike if you want em.

Hey Dan - thanks for the offer of parts help. The GW air shocks I have are complete with the airlines and 2-1 connector with the single air inlet valve. I think I'm going to try and make the HD ones work, once I get the new air valves for them. Mounting them upside down was just me thinking outside the box, but I don't think I'll go that route. I'll figure out a way to make them work the right way, just hope it doesn't get the better of me!

BTW, the HD air shock part number is 54662, which if you go on eBay, is hard to find (they're the shorter 12" stock air shocks, not the 12.5" or 13" ones that are much more common).