Needed a 'project'

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88316#p88316:3jshhn7f said:
backlander » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:29 pm[/url]":3jshhn7f]Nice pidjones, what did you use on the timing belt cover ?
"Elbow grease" Really, Scotchbrite in water with dish soap followed by 320, then 800, then 1000, then 2000 grit silicon carbide paper followed by aluminum polish on a buffing wheel in my drill press. Takes about two hours, and my hands are sore all the next day.
belts on.jpg

The other one is finished now, and the belts and idlers came in so I put that together last night and barred her over with the kickstarter. All sounded good, so I hooked up the old GL1800 battery and rolled her with the starter motor. Tonight, I hope to take compression measurements!

I can relate on the sore hands. The project I just finished has probably close to 100 hours of polishing old chrome with 0000 steel wool. There's a lot of labor involved in these projects, your doing a great job. :good:

Not such a good night. Compression testing.
#1 - 75
#2 - 129
#3 - 129
#4 - 136
checked #1 valve lash - perfect. Added about a teaspoon of oil to the plug hole and cranked it a few turns, it goes up to 100. PB Blaster and set a few minutes - down to 90. Oil again and up to 110. Oil in the others and they go to 160-170. Check #1 again, 120. Left oil in #1 to set overnight. I really don't want to go into this engine (don't really have the tools or space for it). I'll look into making a pressure rig out of a plug on my lathe as I don't have welding gear.

I guess I really should start a thread in the projects forum. Thanks for all of the warm welcomes, guys! If you come to ride these beautiful East Tennessee mountains, look me up!

OK, I did start a new thread in the Restorations section here: https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=6232

Well the good news is that I bet the valves are ok with that compression, no bent valves most likely.

I think you said this bike has been abused.
Sitting long?

The rings may start sealing better with hours running.
It's real common for compression readings like this to come up to 140 and better.

Agree with Dan..May be better once run awhile. Something else to consider is a valve partially open then left to sit can be hung up just enough for a bad reading, or if the cylinder was flooded with fuel can have stale fuel goo hanging it up, If one or more of your valves was loose this may indicate a valve not seating fully.

The PO said it sat for at least the five years that he has owned it. He never turned it over. I was surprised at how well the starter turned it, but then they have to be water proof because of where they live. Another amazing thing was that the exhaust studs all came loose very easily. I suspect this engine has never run in this frame, and may not have turned over for decades. Probably bought from a junk yard and bolted in. Anyway, it is my problem, now. I have to admit I'm having a ball working on it. I had forgotten how much fun this is! The only work I really did on my '77 was rebuild the forks, adjust points (constantly - this will get Dyna), and polish chrome. The '06 just requires occasional service although it has started to throw an F1 light for speed sensor. Still have a couple months left on extended warranty, so it may go to Honda soon.

Welcome to the Classic Forum from Minnesota!

You definitely found a project! For what it's worth, when I got my '83 gl1100, it had sat for 10 years. So, I pulled the carbs, the worst I've ever seen, and while working on them I soaked the cylinders with 2-cycle oil and turned the engine by hand each day a few times. Then I replaced the timing belts, reinstalled the carbs, and moved on to other jobs, and kept turning the engine a couple of times each day by hand, adding oil thru the plug holes as necessary. Just wanted to SOAK those rings so that if there was any rust or sticking of rings, I'd give them a chance to release and not score up the cylinder walls too much.

Once I was done with other stuff, about 3 months later, I just bumped the starter a bit a few times a day with the plugs out. Finally it was time to try an actual start. Started right up! And, it has weak spark, so this weekend I'll install coils, spark units, and a CDI that I just acquired from a guy in GA from another forum, plus dial in the pilot screw from 2-1/2 turns from bottom to just 2, which is the actual spec for that bike. Bet it runs fine and I'll bet the careful patience will yield results in terms of the compression readings. You clearly have plenty of patience!

Latest posts