New C5 M Series $449.95!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M series question...

It comes with two ignition curves so using a VOES (vacuum switch) such as Harley uses on Big Twins might be a great test.
I know some of them come with an adjuster for fine tuning the vacuum needed to ground the switch.

For those unfamiliar, this would allow you to use full timing advance normally, but when climbing a big hill, towing, or carrying passengers it could change the curve and retard timing.
You would not have to downshift as much....just like Brian's Wing except it would switch automatically.

Anyone interested in testing one?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136379#p136379:29twan5x said:
joedrum » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:15 pm[/url]":29twan5x]
hmmmmm V mignt maybe on the bike im building for him ...

That was sort of a tease in your direction. I've never used one but if we can get high/low vacuum readings and calibrate it will be super easy for every Wing owner after that.

You guys are the crazy ones that could make it work, especially in the hills of Southern Indiana

Attachments

• voes.jpg
    voes.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 616
I'd be interested in testing one but honestly, (and this is not meant to be a sales pitch for the C5), this 1200 engine running my single carb and c5 pulls strong with very little laboring even on 6-8% uphill grades.
What I'd need is to add load to it like a sidecar or loaded trailer.

If we are talking a test for use on most of these oldwings. I have a set of early heads and two otherwise stock 1100's and my 1200 standard. I also have the stock 75 that needs completely gone over. I am planning to go with single carbs on all of them in time. In thinking more about the vacuum switch though. I think the single varb vacuum might be different enough that an adjustable switch might work best on the single carb set up. So I'm open to try it however you like.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136381#p136381:22djg4wa said:
dan filipi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:53 pm[/url]":22djg4wa]
I'd be interested in testing one but honestly, (and this is not meant to be a sales pitch for the C5), this 1200 engine running my single carb and c5 pulls strong with very little laboring even on 6-8% uphill grades.
What I'd need is to add load to it like a sidecar or loaded trailer.

Dan, I am so glad you mentioned this. Many of the vehicles we test have so much power there is not a good way to "load it".
We don't have big hills in Eastern Wisconsin, so unless I am down near the Mississippi River (and I was with my Ural last summer) there is just no difference in power when I change curves. Retarding the timing just makes it vibrate more and pop through the exhaust.

Now add a really steep hill, sidecar, trailer, or both....then you really can feel your bike struggle. That is really what is needed for a true test. I don't think my Goldwing or CB750 would ever have low enough vacuum to switch curves under normal riding around here.

As your engine works harder, the fuel burns faster, and the timing is no longer correct. That is when detonation begins.

Attachments

• melted_piston.jpg
    melted_piston.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 612
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136382#p136382:2uhhts69 said:
slabghost » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:17 pm[/url]":2uhhts69]
If we are talking a test for use on most of these oldwings. I have a set of early heads and two otherwise stock 1100's and my 1200 standard. I also have the stock 75 that needs completely gone over. I am planning to go with single carbs on all of them in time. In thinking more about the vacuum switch though. I think the single varb vacuum might be different enough that an adjustable switch might work best on the single carb set up. So I'm open to try it however you like.

A stock bike would be a great test, since most of us have stock or mildly modified bikes. I'm interested in working with you. If set up correctly, you won't even notice the ignition changing curves.

You will be able to haul BIG loads :whip:

Attachments

• 113982979_0c267a1965.jpg
    113982979_0c267a1965.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 609
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136398#p136398:1qvmlljk said:
wilcoy02 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:03 pm[/url]":1qvmlljk]
If you tell me what to do I could go for this. I plan to see some hills and mountains with my trailer loaded to the land up north in July.

On your bike, since you've got 4 curves, we can access two of them using a VOES. We could also install a rotary switch like Brian uses.
You'd have auto retard for a mild hill, and two manual options left using your handlebar mounted controller.

Someone with a GL1000 kit (easy to reprogram the module) could use a MAP sensor like a modern car. I will be setting that up using my '76 barn find sometime this summer.

Wilcoy if you want to help out I am all smiles. Having several people test this would be a great thing, and your trip is PERFECT for a long term "real world" report.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131639#p131639:1pml2kr7 said:
C5Performance » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 pm[/url]":1pml2kr7]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131591#p131591:1pml2kr7 said:
bronko37 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm[/url]":1pml2kr7]
Im not racing or nuthin, just looking for the most reliable system I can get. Any improvements in performance is just a bonus. Sounds to me like I will end up with the C5 M for the low low price of 449.95! I was waiting to see if I was going to be able to get my bike running right but its goin solid right now.

I will make it very easy for you to choose the C5 M series. We are virtually out of stock with the old system so our plan is to just offer the M series unless....there is enough demand to order at least a dozen kits at one time.

That being said, the only operational difference is the number of curves (2 versus 4). One will be a normal curve and the other for a motorcycle under heavy load. If you have special requirements just give me a call or email me. We are programming Slabghost's ignition to his specifications before shipping.

Honestly we believe the reduction in price is the right thing. Hopefully it allows more people to enjoy our product and the forum would certainly accept your $100 donation if you are determined to spend it :yahoo:

Thanks for the information Paul. I am savin my pennies for that ignition system.

So do i understand this correctly, there are two curves that I can choose from and I can easily switch from one curve to the other by installing some sort of switch?

I dont really need a curve for "under a load" on this bike. The only load on it is me and I'm 200lbs. This is a one ip rider that loves to go fast. If Im takin wifey or goin on a trip I'll take the 84 aspy out. No I want two curves, one for spirited touring and one for really rippin it. I spend as much time as possible above 5k when i rip my bike on what I call "the southern loop". Its 8miles of country back road with a few nice curve in it, I'll take what i can get in NW indiana. I like to spend as much of the ride as possible going as fast as possible. Love gettin her to do the ton.

The bike is stock and runs really well. Do you think altering the curves for a more aggressive ridding style is war rented in this situation?

Both curves would work for high rpm riding. We try to match timing to readily available pump fuel and the load we believe the bike will experience. For an average sized rider we'd use a curve that is similar to what I've got on my CB750, and the other curve will have a reduced timing curve for lower octane fuel or higher loads such as hills/mountains. There is no such thing as a perfect curve, but the beauty of the Power Arc software is the ability to change it if you need to "fine tune" it.

The M series has been taking much longer than anticipated and although we will be getting our next batch any day, they are already sold out. I am working on another kit that fits the GL1000/1100/1200 and with a special timing shaft would also fit GL1500 models.

Once we do a test run later this week I will share that information also. It has 4 curves and will come with a custom billet cover.
This will help take some pressure off the new M series and you could move it to other models in the future (something you can't do with the M series kit).

Thanks for being patient until we get production ramped up.

Paul,

Should I make a deposit to hold a place for a future build? Do you even still do that, or will there be more available in the future?

Also, I believe I have read this entire thread and haven't come across exactly what all you get with your purchase other than the unit and its phenominal capabilities. Can you clarify for me exactly everything you get when you purchase your system? Is there a new coil or something included? What all happens with what I have on my bike now.

Thanks for all the great communications guys!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139241#p139241:21aiufow said:
bronko37 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 pm[/url]":21aiufow]
Paul,

Should I make a deposit to hold a place for a future build? Do you even still do that, or will there be more available in the future?

Also, I believe I have read this entire thread and haven't come across exactly what all you get with your purchase other than the unit and its phenominal capabilities. Can you clarify for me exactly everything you get when you purchase your system? Is there a new coil or something included? What all happens with what I have on my bike now.

Thanks for all the great communications guys!

We fully expected to have plenty of M series available by now but there have been a few delays. I will be posting a new thread in the Manufacturers area soon about our Gen 4 kit. Because of increased interest for GL1100, 1200, and 1500 Wings, and partly because of the slow delivery time of the M series, I designed a new kit that fits GL1000, 1100, 1200, and will fit 1500 once our new timing post is complete.

For those who still want the smaller M series I hope to have a few more before Spring time. I stopped taking deposits because I didn't feel it was fair to you guys when the wait time was so long. Please send email if you want to be on the waiting list. [email protected]

To clarify: You will have two options for a Goldwing kit.

1) The M series (two curves...fits stock GL1000 housing. This will fit GL1100 with camshaft mod or swapped in GL1000 cam)
2) The new Gen 4 kit (has four timing maps and will fit GL1000, 1100, 1200 engines. To install in 1100, 1200 you must have your cam drill/tapped for M6 bolt).

If you'd rather have the larger kit with 4 curves, we will begin production probably next week.

Now to answer your question about the kit. We include the ignition module, quad coil (there are two coils built inside), spark plug leads, coil mounting spacers, and all instructions.
You cannot use other coils with our system...it requires totally unique coils in order to function correctly.

I suggest once your kit is installed, sell your coils to someone who does not intend on installing our system.

Please ask further questions if you have them!

YES

One must experience it to feel the difference.

I for one will never go back.

Before this I could not ride in 10 degree temps because I could not get it started, but with this c5, my ride starts and I can ride in the cold now.

OK Paul that all sounds great. Can you put me on your list for the C5 M series please? I don't really need all those curves. The roads here are flat and crappy and I am not nearly the "tinkerer" that Joe is. 2 curves sounds like twice as many as I need anyway, lol.

I normally run 87 octane pump fuel in the old wings. Is that what you would recommend for a bike without the C5 in it? And would you recommend a different octane of fuel once the C5 is installed? My local choices are 87, 89, 93 octane.

Compared to what I started with last year this is going to be like a whole new machine going from points to optic. I am expecting a nice boost in overall performance.

Latest posts