New ebay starter (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....gonna send this one back and try another eBay starter?
Just a reminder that stockers.com sells them and they will fit
https://stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-36N
The new one like this I bought a couple years ago spins fast and came with a new cable.

dan filipi":ss79g5qi said:
The new one like this I bought a couple years ago spins fast and came with a new cable.
Ya, this one's going back today. I place my marker on red 2 times and lost both times.
Now that I have received payment for some parts sold, together with my starter refund, I think I can manage the one you posted from stockers if it's still on sale at that price when I get my act together. :good:

I have heard that, while American companies do outsource their manufacturing to China/Taiwan (pick you favorite Asian country), and they(China) have all of the blueprints/specs for the item, that they WILL redesign/re-engineer/re-spec certain parts if they want to, without authorization to do so from the original manufacturer, or even telling them. Only after a massive failure rate occurs on the parts will the OE actual start checking, and that's when they find that their parts have be re-engineered/re-spec'ed.
I was talking to a guy that works for a company that was going thru this exact issue, because I was getting parts that had, in the past worked flawlessly, but were now failing left/right. The only visual difference in the "good" parts and the "bad" parts was the actual size of the font on the part number. But the parts had been re-engineered(by the factory in China) to use a softer metal, and were being stamped, instead of laser welding two parts together as original. This particular supplier had PALLETS of failed parts being shipped back after failing in the field.....
Parts is like a box of chocolates.....Ya just never know what yer gunna get these days.... :rant:

mcgovern61":1qqqahg0 said:
scdmarx":1qqqahg0 said:
Well, I just hope a LOT of people read this thread.
I agree, maybe this thread should be a sticky!!
Done.

dan filipi":22ve6w1r said:

Well, I finally got the money together and sent away for this one from stockers.com.
It was still on sale for $129.95 +$13.95 shipping.

It arrived today. I opened the box to find the same damned starter I got from ebay the first time with the small gear. Not reman, brand new - never installed. The gear is way too small and the old gear will not fit the splines on the shaft.

Now I gotta see how much it will cost me to send it back and wait for a refund so I can start over again.

backlander":1vlybl90 said:
Holy crap. That takes the cake. Which one you working on the 82 or 83?
I am working on the 82.

Shortly after I bought the 83 the starter quit and when I removed it I saw that the case was busted. Since the 82 was registered non-op and not in use, I robbed the starter from it and put it on the 83. Been working like a champ ever since. Now I'm getting the 82 back on the road with plans to sell it, but haven't had much luck buying a starter for it. I even tried a recommended source and ended up with the same crap I got from ebay twice already only this time I paid twice as much.
I've been shopping for the cheapest thing I can get, so I wasn't too disappointed. I didn't feel let down until this last one though.

Omega Man":1ad0dp71 said:
Doesn't DSL or Glider have a starter, they're parts guys right?

~O~

Already offered it way back at the outset - still good.!

Damnit, Ron. What's up with these starters!?

Are you sure the one from Stockers is wrong?
I mean, could it be the gear you have is the wrong gear and the one they sent is the right gear?

Called Stockers today. Was told they pulled all the Chinese starters off the shelves because of this problem. I was offered my money back, or a rebuilt with 1yr warranty. When my rebuilt arrives, I'm to use the included shipping label to return the Chinese crap. I just visited the stocker web site and this item has been discontinued. I don't know where all the Chinese one's will go, but if you need a starter in the near future, beware of the new cheap starters that might be flooding the ebay market soon. :whistling:

I wasn't told "when they receive my returned one" - I was told "when the package arrives, send the return".
That in itself tells me they care about their name, and remedying the situation to my satisfaction as quickly as possible.

dan filipi":3nrkg2u6 said:
Great, I'm glad you called them.
I knew they'd stand behind their products.
Pain in the arse I know but we shall see a good outcome soon.

I got one of the ones from DB electric a couple years ago for my 81, it fit correctly and spun the engine over a lot faster than my old one. Not saying they couldn't be having the same problems now, but it was a good deal then.

Latest posts