New farkles...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk2valve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My newest is my new to me Corbin leather seat. I am really liking it especially the backrest.....
I can see that the backrest is keeping me a little more forward than I am used to so will have to see if I take it off for some of the time when on a long ride....

Brian

Attachments

• New_Corbin_Seat.jpg
    New_Corbin_Seat.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 93
i have a saddleman on the 1500 with a built in backrest and if you look on the back side of the backrest there is an adjustment knob so you can fine tune the backrest for yourself. your corbin might have one too

Both the utopia backrest on my road sofa,and the markland backrest I had on my stock seat where adjustable.I dont know if Ive seen one that was not.

As a side note,I to have some lower back trouble.I have found the more forword leaning position of the sport tourers do a better job avoiding(acually relieving at times) the pain compared to the wing with the upright seating and all my upper weight on my back.Even when I ride my little 500 with drooped drag bars my back feels good.My a$$ is sore,but my back feels good.
Ive come to the realization that I need Super Bike bars and rear sets on the goldwing with the roadsofa to truly be comfortable anymore.Then again maybe not.

Hi guys, My backrest has a lever that raises and lowers it but it doesn't move forward and backwards....
I am anxious to see how it rides....
I need to get down to Palomas, MX to take care of some stuff and am waiting until the wind lets up...maybe tomorrow or Sunday and I will get 200 miles on the seat so will know more.....
Brian

bk2valve":2x7ob74c said:
Hi guys, My backrest has a lever that raises and lowers it but it doesn't move forward and backwards....
Thats Odd. Isn't their a set screw that controls the forward & back setting? All of the custom seats I've owned including the Utpoia backrest do.
Nice looking seat! I've never owned Corbin for personal reasons. I don't ride anything anymore without a backrest. Maybe I'm old & spoiled. I've always said "Once you've rode with a backrest, chances are you won't ride without again" :mrgreen:
Currently My 650 Burgman has a Russell Day long saddle with a backrest. 98 Helix has the stock seat with the Utpoia backrest.
This is whats going on the 78 Wing this season. A Diamond custom seat with a MONSTER backrest. I can hardly wait to check it out! :lust: :lust:
Just can't put a pricetag on comfort!
GEDC0865.jpg

Thats Odd. Isn't their a set screw that controls the forward & back setting? All of the custom seats I've owned including the Utpoia backrest do.

I found a rusted in allen head set screw in the back of the seat post but it can't possible do more than tilt the actual backrest portion back and forth a little which either makes the bottom push forward or the top push forward and I have to lean back a lot more than that....I will know more if Kroil will eventually allow me to free up the screw....

Meanwhile I rode 150 miles with the backrest and found butt to be getting uncomfortable being pushed forward...I took off the backrest and rode the last 50 miles without it and I was very comfortable...

I will tinker with it some more but I am thinking it will just gather dust. One day I may ride out to Corbin's plant and see if I can't get them to trim the back of the drivers seat back further yet.....I am one of the only guys I know that can make a wing look small...hehehe

I once sat on a guys Boss Hoss bike with the Chevy 350 and it felt like it fit me nicely....you really ought to see me on my CT110...talk about a trained bear....LOL

Brian

Sounds like you may of purchased the seat used if the ajustment screw is rusted. If that Corbin was made for someone else it may not be a good fit for you. Usually when you order a custom seat you have to sent them your ht, wt & inseam.
Still. Back out that set screw as far as you can might make a helluva difference.

Hi Lou,
Thanks for the ideas. You are right, I did buy it used and it was built for someone else. I hope to get out to Corbin one day...maybe this summer, and see if I can have them do some good surgery on it for the best fit.

I am soaking the rusty screw with Kroil, the best penetrant I know of, to see if I can get it loose. Not budging yet though...

Brian

bk2valve":q0aql48e said:
My newest is my new to me Corbin leather seat. I am really liking it especially the backrest.....
I can see that the backrest is keeping me a little more forward than I am used to so will have to see if I take it off for some of the time when on a long ride....

Brian

Hey Brian - this may be a dumb question but what is a farkle? I googled it and they say its a game you play with dice?

Ahhhh, good news...you guys were right and the allen screw totally adjusts the backrest....I finally got it freed up...had to chisel away a bit of the fiberglass to get a good purchase with a t-handle allen wrench but it finally loosened and after running it under the wirebrush and chasing the threads in the backrest bar, it is GREAT! I put it back together with Never-sneeze so it will stay movable....

Thanks for all the input and know that I will be comfy on the road!!! Yay!
Brian

bk2valve":3gg1o81g said:
Hi 1060dsl,
A farkle is anything you attach on or add to your moto to make it more comfortable or better riding...."function/sparkle=farkle" see this def...:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

Commonly used in the BMW community....

No question is dumb in my book....only the unasked one....
Brian

Hey Bk2valve I just looked at the link you sent - now I am really confused LOL check out item 1

Hi Bob....
Now with the never seze the screw will fall out and you will have to find a new one.

You got that right....! I better throw another one in the parts kit...hahaha

Hi 1060dsl, ....
Hey Bk2valve I just looked at the link you sent - now I am really confused LOL check out item 1

Dood, curiosity killed the cat...you read way too much!!! :yahoo:

Bob...
I hear that is a game they play up on the dew line way north, where there is a girl behind every tree.

What's the rest of the story....?????? :ahem:

Brian

I never got the rest of the story. When I was on orders to go to the dew line they told me it was great duty as there was a gitl behind every tree. My orders were changed to Korea so I never got "THE REST OF THE STORY" However I did find out thatthe dew line is way up in the frozen north and you have to be flowen in by cargo plane in the summer months when temps are as high as -40. And there are NO trees. :heat: :heat: Am I glad my orders were changed. :yahoo:

Oh ok Bob...I am glad for you too....

Alaska, the place where guys don't get a divorce, they just lose their place in line! LOL,,,,

I had friends who worked on building the old DEW line...most are dead now, but a few still live....

Brian