New Guy from Eastern NC

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawdie Omega Man, that's a pretty ride. Now back to me and my petty little problems. These are the that came with (not on) the bike. PO had an "H" manifold with a single automotive carb mounted on it. He had already sold those parts, no big loss to me. I think these are GL 1100 carbs. In another thread, folks said the 1100 carbs worked better on the GL 1000 and vice versa. Don't matter, it's what I got. On the breather box there's 2 nipples, one labeled "ENG" and one "DRAIN."
image.php

On the left side of the top of the engine, just fore of the chrome engine mount, is a nipple/hose pointed to the rear center. Should that hose be hooked to the ENG nipple?
image.php

Thanks!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86531#p86531:2z7ws6os said:
joedrum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 am[/url]":2z7ws6os]if it was me id run the hose up and then down without connecting to airbox ..much better tan running waste back through motor ...if puke cup is still there you can still use it
It's just crankcase vapor, not any particles that would harm anything.
I would hook up like stock.

The other hose goes here...

Sorry...it's the only pic I have that shows the puke tank..... :fiddle:

No pics, too tired. That vapor tube runs over to the "puke" cup which has a hose running up into the right side panel ending in mid-air behind the radiator overflow tank and a hose running to the ground. From what I can tell from Clymer manual this was the GL 1000 vapor handling method. I guess the 1100 carb was designed to handle the vapor. I'm gonna run a hose from one nipple to the other, unless otherwise advised. Pics of this engineering marvel tomorrow early afternoon. Getting title signed over in am!!!

I filled my nipples with RTV when I re-routed the crankcase vent to the puke cup line.

I had a layer of foam crud in the very bottom (segmented area) of my airbox.

Sorry for the lack of illustrations. Got everything hooked up, the thottle/killswitch had to be properly located. Think I have aftermarket bars, the brake line needs to be an inch longer. Throttle is a little sticky, the spring on the carbs seems very strong, throttle returns very slowly. GOOD NEWS! Bike started. Bad news- only running on 2-3 cylinders. Spark good in 2,3,4, intermittent in 1? tested for current w/ induction timing light hooked around each plug wire. Checked plugs more closely, they were gapped 0.35 not 0.25. Wrong plugs per Clymer-should I believe Clymer? Looked at one set of points, not too good. Ordered points, may try filing these. Try to post pics tonight, gotta go do my volunteer gig now. Thanks, y'all.

Here's a few pictures ==>
The oil vapor puke system
This tube came out the top.

And the carbs installed.

I had to sand off a couple spots on the air cleaner cover to clear the side cover retaining knobs.
image.php

Any advice on how to spin that nut on the alternator to set the ignition timing would be greatly appreciated.

what I do is take theplugs out first ...that sure makes it easier to move ...if you stator cap off only turn the stator bolt clock wise you don't want to loosen it ...now your in a good position to set timing .....as far as moving the motor easy ....

Joe drum - tried that, got to 3d or 4th gear, I think, still couldn't really turn it over. Practice w/ the end wrench, as much rhythm as an old white guy like me can manage and some borrowed grace seems to work. ZEN. Now, the screws holding the contact base plate are stuck, the heads are so messed up from a PO (or mechanic?!) that I couldn't get them out. one finally came out, the other awaits me for Monday. Has a busted off "hardened" screw puller stuck in the center of it. Too hard to drill, too cheap to have done the job. posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=6106#
Insert choice word here. Any advice or voodoo will be greatly appreciated. Have a nice week end y'all, getting a new ('76) seat on Monday, points Tuesday. It's either a bike or a boat anchor.

those dang Phillips screws with no way to get at with something else was a cruel joke on owners truring to to set points sheesh ...its in the ozone layer of bs now ...why couldn't they used a hex head...hmmmmm