New guy in Buffalo, NY

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Vetters, what is the logic in having vents open to the insides of the pocket area of the fairing? If I have something stored in there during a rain ride it would need to be in a waterproof container. I must be missing a detail

Steel wool and WD40 worked for me. I was luck enough to have a couple gallons of Evapo-rust to dunk parts like foot rest into, that stuff de rusted every nook and cranny with no effort at all.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87153#p87153:3qwcip0p said:
kerryb » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:15 am[/url]":3qwcip0p]
Speaking of Vetters, what is the logic in having vents open to the insides of the pocket area of the fairing? If I have something stored in there during a rain ride it would need to be in a waterproof container. I must be missing a detail
That is easy! There used to be a kit to attach the incoming air from those vents to the heater option which ran a coil behind the pockets for winter riding! (Or, maybe I am thinking of my old '63 Rambler and the Vetter vents were actually an oversight!) :whip: :hihihi:

Lol, the 1100 interstate has 2 vents that can be aimed, opened and closed as if they do any good :smilie_happy:

Maybe I could duct them into the intake horn for some ram air and get another 20 horsepower at 150 mph in second at 15,000 rpm. :builder:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86279#p86279:12h2k3yf said:
kerryb » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:55 pm[/url]":12h2k3yf]
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I stuck with it today and made some progress. I wish I had taken some pics of the sandblasting tent over the back half of the bike after going at it with a wire wheel for about 2 hours. While waiting for paint to dry, I took a look at the valve adjustments and the future looks bright indeed. All the settings but one were way loose and one was way tight so I know it will run even better the next time it runs.
Welcome from Socal :hi: ,great job on that frame :rocks:

I'm back. A few weeks vacation can do a lot of good. China was amazing! I've tried to keep with it and got the back end put together. Took it for another 40 miles shakedown and took the front apart. Oil from the water pump weep hole made me check it out. Now I have a new water pump and some paint. Timing belts and fork seals are next. Figured the best way to get the covers ready for paint was bolt 'em together and sandblast...it worked pretty good

Attachments

• before small.jpg
    before small.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
  • after small.jpg
    after small.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 59
  • new waterpump small.jpg
    new waterpump small.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 62