New guys here... need help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth0941

Reaction score
So I picked up my new to me 79 GL1000 today. When I started it I noticed the volt gauge was maxed out so I tested voltage with it running at the battery. Well it was putting out 18V. Would this be the voltage regulator and if so where on the bike is it?

Also where would be a cheap place to pick one up?

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new toy! They're nice machines.

The regulator is probably bad if you're getting 18 volts, but check the connections to it and the alternator stator first. There must be continuity between the green regulator wire and ground - either the frame or the negative battery terminal. The yellow wire is connected to one of the 3 stator wires - it doesn't matter which one. The black wire goes to the ignition switch.

The regulator is located under the left pod (false tank) cover, and is very easy to replace. They are everywhere on ebay, and several aftermarket suppliers can be found by doing an online search. I'm sure others in this forum will have some suggestions.

Hope this helps... Good luck with it!

stator rectifier regulator all right there involve ....just check it out ...stator 3ph ac then converted ist coverted to dc the rugulated is how it gose in its path ...im thinking

Latest posts