New member from Alberta

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prairiewing81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow Goldwingers,
I am glad to be part of a group of GL1100 owners and to learn from your experience. I am an automotive mechanic, but have had limited experience with motorcycles. I purchased a project 81 GL1100 I a couple months ago that wasn't running but had apparently been running before it was stored 16 years ago(with a misfire) It had also sustained some body damage from a spill. It has 30,000 KM on the odometer. I have replaced a bent valve( the cause of the misfire) and valve seals and hoses and am about to clean the carbs that had 16 year old gas in it.
I look forward to chatting with you all.
Bruce

Welcome to the forums.

Mechanical experience is a great asset to working on these bikes.
Looking forward to your experiences as well.

Jump right in, there are many topics available.

Welcome aboard from Nowhere Ohio.We look forward to your pictures and input. Great bunch of guys here.

:wave: Welcome to the Forum :wave:
th_hi.gif

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Bruce!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Welcome , hope to see your progress as you rebuild your wing.
I also have a 1981 Interstate that has 34000 on it now , had 29000 when I purchased it, have been working on it for past 2 years. Not because it's hard to work on just looking for parts and money problems.
I have found 3 problems with the Goldwing, waterpump,timing belts and the alternator plugs under the side cover . I removed the plugs and used connectors to join the wires and soldered them together, no more problem. I also have a 1982 for parts and just picked up a 1983 aspencade with 22000 miles , been setting for long time, just got the motor to turn over and still working on it . If the engine is bad on the 83 I may pull the engine and remove the swing arm and tranny from the 83 and put the tranny and swing arm on the 81. That will drop the engine speed in 5 gear and let me use the more avaiable 16 inch tires on the rear. I have already changed to the 18 inch tire up front , make my bike feel more controlable.
Good luck with your project.
GOD Bless.
Sonny <///><

Attachments

• Sonnys Red access. 022.jpg
    Sonnys Red access. 022.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 351
prairiewing81":e1l36wn2 said:
Thank you for your warm welcome and the very helpful tips and experience offered already. There sure is a wealth of that here!

yes lots of warm welcomes :), we are all one big nutty family here