New Member in Vegas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying hello to all. New Wing owner, an '81 GL1100 Interstate. Not new to old Honda's they keep following me home.

This old girl has 97K on the clock but seems to be in fairly decent shape. As usual it needs a dose of Randaak's carburetor guts and likely will get new timing belts along with all the bright work getting a ride on my polishing wheels.

As I have never worked on a "wing" before I'm sure I will be pestering the resident guru's here on various things.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Sidewinder!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Omega Man":1f273yc8 said:
Welcome from Vegas! Maybe we can get together some time. :eek:k:

~O~

That would be good. I'm near 215 and Windmill. Have you ever changed the timing belts on your GW? That is one of the first things I will be doing. That and pulling the carbs for rebuild are at the top of the list.

Thanks for the warm reception guys.

Not a bad bike but has a few issues that don't suit my style. One annoying thing is the shifter the PO has on the bike. It looks like it had a heel toe shifter and the heel toe part is off and a peg in it's place. I have to lift my leg to up shift and pick up my leg and foot to downshift. Never see anything quite like it. The guy was much shorter than me and the shift lever is about half way back on the floorboard. Totally weird and I have been looking for some photos taken at an angle that I can see how some are setup. Then the usual change all fluids, timing belts and obligatory Randaak parts rebuild. I just finished a CX650 using his parts and they are the best I've found to rebuild carbs. Tried other aftermarket kits before and although the cost is slightly higher the fact that everything you really NEED to do the job right is there and the Viton material will withstand today's fuels makes it a no brainer for me. I'll probably need some hand holding on the belt change although it looks straight forward.

Again, thanks for the warm reception. I tried to post a photo but the site said it looked "too spamy" for a new user because I used the usual photobucket "IMG" address. Not sure about that ... never seen it before on other forums. Maybe after a couple more post I can upload photos.

We apologize for your problems posting photos. We've had problems with spam bots lately. so Dan had to put some stuff in place to help prevent this from occurring.

Sidewinder":2q75rbmy said:
Omega Man":2q75rbmy said:
Welcome from Vegas! Maybe we can get together some time. :eek:k:

~O~

That would be good. I'm near 215 and Windmill. Have you ever changed the timing belts on your GW? That is one of the first things I will be doing. That and pulling the carbs for rebuild are at the top of the list.
Not yet, and since I've yet to come across a tutorial that made any kind of sense to me maybe we could do them together.

~O~

restrictions will be lifted after you 5th post. We've had too many spammers get in so had to put some restriction on new additions. If you'll pm the image code to me I'll be happy to post it for you.

slabghost":29orc85c said:
restrictions will be lifted after you 5th post. We've had too many spammers get in so had to put some restriction on new additions. If you'll pm the image code to me I'll be happy to post it for you.

Not a problem, I hate spammers myself so whatever the program, if it works fine. Sure I will get 5 posts soon enough. Not complaining just a passing comment from a new guy. Will post the image when it's Okay. Just another picture of an old GoldWing.

Omega Man":3efpd13o said:
Not yet, and since I've yet to come across a tutorial that made any kind of sense to me maybe we could do them together.

~O~[/quote]

That would be okay too. Maybe we can mess yours up first, discover all the mistakes common and THEN do mine. :fiddle: :party:

Try the photo again. This is after a light clean up, not a bad bike and something to work with.

GW1.jpg