New Member Introduction

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning and Happy Friday the 13th from sorta cloudy/sunny :yes: Portland, Oregon

I purchased an '82 Interstate late last Summer and am now in the process of cleaning up the carbs.
The bike runs fairly well except for the lengthy, smokey start up procedure, a real pain when trying to get home from work at 2 AM.
I bought the "air cut off" valves for the carbs and am now glad I did because the first one I pulled out is toasted.
My interest in the Goldwing centers on the fact that it is shaft driven and has such a long production run that parts and knowledge are readily available.
Not to mention that the Goldwing is one of those bikes that seem to make driving a car around sorta pointless, comfortable, capable and solid.
Over the next couple of months I will be working on the bikes weak points, brakes and suspension in particular. I value a bike in stock tune but if there is a way to greatly increase the stopping power or handling prowess I will consider it.
Phil C

MarkB":2wlsk4pq said:
Hi Phil, welome to the forum. I'm sorta new around here myself!

Mark

The guys on here are not just great but also very helpful in all aspects :builder: :read: :salute:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Phil!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Slabghost,
Thanks for the tip about fresh fluids, I did that in the first week I got the bike.
I did not change the pads as they seem to have plenty of meat on them..but I suppose they could be contaminated or brittle. Steel braided lines are also waiting on my work bench.
The pads will get changed later this Spring, for now I have my hands full with the carb cleaning.
Phil

phil":go65m5vw said:
Slabghost,
Thanks for the tip about fresh fluids, I did that in the first week I got the bike.
I did not change the pads as they seem to have plenty of meat on them..but I suppose they could be contaminated or brittle. Steel braided lines are also waiting on my work bench.
The pads will get changed later this Spring, for now I have my hands full with the carb cleaning.
Phil
Brake pads and rotors get a glaze on them over time. If your pads are thick they can be scuffed and reused. Rotor surfaces can be scuffed also. Braided lines contain pressure better and allow more to be transferred to the calipers.
Take it slow on those carbs. Be sure every passage is cleaned. Slides should move smoothly as should all the linkage. If you run into any troubles post them here and suggestions will follow.