New Member Just bought a 1977 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks BigBro.

First order of business is to get it started, and get a new wiring harness...mine is so chopped up it hurts to look at it.

There is a lot of good stuff in here as well as people. this Forum is mainained by Dan and he works really hard to keep the advertisements out of it.

This link may help you as well. gallery/album.php?album_id=1820 I think that is repair manual for the 1000 . Also up in the Directory are the various groupings and there are some good places to ask questions specific to your areas.

These guys will welcome you and they have done some amazing things with these classic rides.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like a project..I see the wiring harness come up fairly often on the bay, some are just too much but seen them under 50 bucks..well worth the replacement. I suppose you did a compression test, if that came out OK then timing belts should be changed and checked before turning it over., fuel line and filter, carb rebuild maybe(probably)...Yep..Lots of fun but not bad once you get to know them, cant beat the ride and power..Great Bike..Give us some pics when you can.

Welcome to the fun. Tell us what you know about the bikes history and condition in reawakening thread or however you choose to title it. Folks here love to help in this stuff.

History is a mystery. Guy I bought it from only wanted the side-car and thought he'd restore it himself. He has a garage full-o-wings and no time for this one. No info on the guy who shredded the wiring other than he was from Chicago....FIBS!

Then I'd just assume it's been sitting forever and start with cleaning the carbs and checking everything. Replacing the timing belts and all the fluids. Going to be a lot to do to catch up for years of maintenance neglect.

Yes. I want to take it all apart and powder coat the frame and put it back together with new or upgraded parts. Basic restore with a lean toward cafe' style.

Welcome from Southern California! You've got quite a project there, and you'll love it! Don't hesitate to ask anything, there are no wrong questions! (And, hopefully, no wrong answers!)

I started the cafe route on my old KZ. One 15 mile ride changed my mind. These old bones don't like that position at all. I still like the look though.