New R/R upgrade.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
before riding this year I wanted to knock out some of the bigger work to the wing.
and one thing I wanted to do was this new style regulator.
I want to stress before going into this modification that my stator checked out fine, and I wasnt expecting more wattage output.
searching the internet I found alot of info on the FH012AA shindigen R/R's. I also found that the prices almost doubled on ebay once people found a use for these.
for me being on a budget, money is usually the deciding factor in most modifications.
so after a bit of hunting I found my donor regulator.. a FH011AA
this thing has huge cooling fins but has the same characteristics as the FH012AA except its rated 50amp.
even though I know my stator will only do 30amps and I used a 30amp fuse I figuer this thing should never even break a sweat.
this weekend, the last thing I did finishing off the bike was install this regulator. and I gotta say I am impressed.
just below 1000 rpm my volt meter stays just a hair above the 12 volt mark..
seems no matter what I do for lights and rpm the voltage stays very constant.
it climbs to just around 13-14 volts while cruising down the road and doesnt fall below 12 at an idle.
also as a note to anyone who might question doing this mod... the old regulator is still on the bike... just unplugged and can be hooked back up on the side of the road with minimal tools, just be disconnecting the new one and plugging in the old.

oh and by the way... 30 mile or so into a ride I stopped and stuck my hand into the luver in the fairing lower and touched the regulator.... cool as can be.
no wasted energy there...
:D
I'm a happy camper again... back on the road!

:beg: YA!!! Pics would be kewl. Glad to know you didn't burn any stripes on you fingers, too!
So....where did you get your reg, anyway?

I knew it was coming :music:
I'll get to work on the pictures real soon guys... meantime I got the R/R on e bay back in january, paid 12$ plus 8 to have it shipped.
I soldered the 3 yellow wires right to the same spot I removed the plug under the side cover next to the battery... but left both the old and new wires soldered to the stator.
and just added the positive and negative leads to the battery posts, with a 30amp fuse in the positive cable right close to the battery... just under the seat is where the fuse is located in a nice sealed junction block.

I used 12ga. primary wire for the whole harness.. its just a bit heavier than thew oem.

ok heres some pics...
remember I havent really gotten a chance to clean her up yet... just finishing the maintenance

the blue wire is the positive, and is soldered to a water tight fuse block under the seat.

I bought good female spade ends and they fit very snug.

Attachments

• 0504111233a.jpg
    0504111233a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 0504111237a.jpg
    0504111237a.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 0504111238a.jpg
    0504111238a.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 209
just a few rides and I can already tell the difference. even if the amper output falls the voltage stays just above 12, and the battery seems to like it. the bike starts much better. and even if I turn the key on and the run switch to the off position the bike cranks. woohoo..
next I will get some video, or more pics of my voltmeter at differnt rpm and with differnt loads.
but so far I am very impressed.

joedrum":197bii10 said:
im glad someone else is getting the pics assualt... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:
Joe something I have learned is to Arm yourself with photo's and or video's before you post something cool like this because yes the assault will begin..You know it...It's a fantastic idea this he has come up with here.. :clapping: I'm very impressed....

Latest posts