new tires

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok heres the situation.
when I bought the 83 gl1100 she had sit in a garage for about 3 years...
but just before parking her, the PO had new tires put on... dunlop 491's
since it had set for so long I have kept a very close eye on the tires...
last week I got some new break pads and set out to install them
one at a time I got them installed.... I got to the back tire and wiped off some dirt to do my inspection...
OH NO! small cracks forming lenghtwise in the sidewalls....
deep enough to put my fingernail into... but hardly noticable from standing up.
I priced tires at the local shop...
dunlops 404's

140/90 16 rear
120/90 18 front
if I take the tires off and take them in 275 out the door for mounting and balenced....

so I figuered awsome! and had them done yesturday.
now on the way home from the garage(about 10miles) I started smelling rubber...
pulled over right away... the rear tire is smoking... draggin on the break arm.
has the side all scuffed up.
so as it was gettin late I did what I could to get the arm off the tire.... seemed like as the tire cooled it got smaller and the gap opened up between the arm and tire..
got her home... and double checked all my work... everything was fine...
so today I called the local shop and asked them what to do...
they said for 1hr shop fee they would give me an idea whats going on...
thats where I'm at now...
waiting for some explanation of what the problem could be..

I'v read others having this trouble but noone has offered a solution.
they want to fit a elite3 130/90/16 on the rear...
thinking that might help...

anyone know... does these tires grow that much when warm????

Tires definitely expand as they heat up.

On the '83 parts bike is a Dunlop 491 MU 90 B16. I can almost get a middle finger between the brake arm and tire.

The only solution I see in your case or anyone else with this problem is either a different tire or modifying the brake arm or frame support.
I see NO WAY to move the arm away from the tire.

I think if I really, really wanted to run a tire that rubs I'd weld a wider plate either to the frame or the arm, probably the frame.

It seems to me the shop should stand behind their work, they put a tire on that doesn't fit the bike so they should make it right. You shouldn't have to pay additional except for the added cost of a different tire if there is any.

I put the first tire on the bike.. they just mounted it and balenced it
but I installed the wheel..

we will see what they say.. waiting for there call

I was thinking of a slight bend just ahead of the edge of the tire

That might work. I would take it off and heat it to get the bend then let it air cool, don't quench with water because that would make the metal harder and I think more brittle.

BTW,
Thanks for the pics dan..
awsome bro!

I'm wondering if some bikes have the ring gear shimmed over too far for the 140 tire... maybe changing the shimming between the ring and pinion could let the tire over closer to the final drive and give us more room on the left side...
I looked at a 83 in the junkyard and it was alot closer to the final drive unit... like as much as the room you have between your break arm and tire... HUMM!

ok just got back from honda shop
heres what we found.

F14MB9D15.jpg

This spacer was somehow moved to the other side of the tire and put inside the final drive.
The mechanic said it was stuck in there...
so the PO must have changed things around once....
anyway
the old guy mechanic saw it instantly.
there is a spacer on BOTH sides of the brake arm

and they fixed me up with a nice new tire... and a new perspective on the rear axle..
also knocked $50 off the price for me..
and was super nice about the whole thing...
I sure felt like an ass.. but there isnt a good exploded veiw in any of the repaire manuals.
and this picture was in the brakes section of the micro fiche

this was actually spacing the ring gear out from the final drive housing..
the tire only has an inch or so of travel now... tightend up the driveline alot

now have the same dunlop 404 140/90 16.... but have a finger width between tire and brake arm.
expensive lesson learned!!

I ran into a similar problem with the spacers, except my problem was with the rotor linig up correctly with the caliper. I had removed the '81 wheel, the '82 dual brake caliper (frozen, it is on the list for next year) and put new tires front and back on. I ended up with the '81 single piston calipers and they would not line up in the rear! Short of it is, the '81 and '82 brakes have different spacers and I assumed they were the same. Swapped out to the correct spacer and it has been fine since!

Hello group.was woundering if any one know were i could find Maxxis wide white walls,thay stop sending them to the USA but i hear thers stell some around,just hard to find them,was also thinking of changing my front rim to a 16" has any one ever tryed this?would really like to get a set of them avon ganster white walls.thank you

Latest posts