New to me bike, service recommendations.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89-300ce

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, New to me 83 Interstate with 48k km (30k mi.) and no service records.

Done to date.

- Flush brake systems.
- Change oil
- Change antifreeze
- Change fork oil
- Change shock oil
- New air filter
- Lube clutch cable
- Eliminate stator plug
- Change out 55w driving light bulbs with 35w bulbs.

Planned in immediate future

- Timing belts (on order)
- Rad hoses (on order)
- Set Valves
- Set idle mixtures
- Carb sync
- Change diff fluid
- Lube drive shaft joint? ( Can I use wheel bearing/chassis lube ?)

Anything else I should do before I put plates on her?
I've read about lubing splines but that seems to require some disassembly so I'm thinking of leaving that until I do swingarm bearings when needed.

Thanks

Jorg

Looks like you have it pretty well covered. How old are the tires? Double check the rear doesn't rub. A few have had issues with that. I'd run a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam or ATF in it before adjusting the carbs just to be sure they are clean.

- Lube throttle cables

Chassis grease is fine in the zerk.
We had a discussion once about how much and came up with about 5 pumps every 10k miles should be good. It's a tough joint. I think most don't even grease it.

If your going to have the rear tire off that's a good time to lube the splines.
I have mixed feelings about what grease to use after reading in one Honda manual to use all purpose grease.
The general consensus is to use the super expensive Moly 60.

slabghost":2oyjn00t said:
Looks like you have it pretty well covered. How old are the tires? Double check the rear doesn't rub. A few have had issues with that. I'd run a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam or ATF in it before adjusting the carbs just to be sure they are clean.

I'll check on the tires. They look new but the previous owner didn't ride it much. Good idea on the carb cleaner. Save me doing it twice.

Jorg

89-300ce":2sbmi6pj said:
joedrum":2sbmi6pj said:
id have a hard time living up to your program sounds great jorg .... :mrgreen:

Well it's easy and fun when the bike's all new to me. Once the new has worn off maintenance will become drudgery.

Jorg
Not so much as long as you have a second bike road ready. :mrgreen:

Looks like a good plan. That's what I did the first year I had my bike although I didn't do my radiator hose when I did my timing belts and I wish I had. It's fun doing it when it's new work on it ride it work on it ride it and on and on. Each thing you get done with the bike just keeps getting smoother and becoming part of you.

89-300ce":azu6lq8y said:
slabghost":azu6lq8y said:

I'll check on the tires. They look new but the previous owner didn't ride it much. Good idea on the carb cleaner. Save me doing it twice.

Jorg
Check the date on the tires (stamped next to the DOT #) first two #'s represent week of mfg. and last two = year. My tires look great. No cracks, lots of tread, rubber seems soft but both tires are about 10 years old :eek: Most people recommend replacement at 5 years max. (or sooner). My new tires should be here Wednesday. After the tires I'll be ready for my first long (and safe) ride.

I checked the tires last night. The rear is 06 the front is 07. Both tires show no wear at all and still nice and soft. If I had a Hayabusa they'd come off immediately but up here with a 60mph speed limit I just don't know. For sure I know the bike was garaged on the centrestand and in the winter the garage was unheated. I'll have to do some reading, hopefully rubber goes into stasis if cold enough.

Jorg

chasrogers":3tgnjbx8 said:
DO NOT forget to check the steering head bearings and swing arm bearings or you could be eating gravel and be the next skid mark on the expressway or interstate HWY :mrgreen:

Ok, I'll check those next. Are either of them greasable? I remember reading about a grease nipple on the swingarm pivot but I haven't seen anything about that on the 1100. Do they have it?

By the way, I love the manuals on this site. I've got a Clymer that came with the bike but these online manuals are a real help.

Jorg

Latest posts