New to this forum

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj46

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi. I have an 84 goldwing and what brought me here is trying to figure out what solo seat would fit my bike and how to mount it. I searched the web and bingo, here I am. My problem is I'm 65 and had a hip operation and have a hard time swinging my leg over the seat so I stand on the foot rest to do so. My thinking is the solo seat may lower it .Anyways glad to join the forum and I am sure I will find a lot of good info here.

Welcomefrom central Calif. tj. Have you tried getting your butt on the seat as far back as possiable with your good leg tward the bike and slide the good leg over. My wife has a prostetic and that is how she has to mount.

Thanks Bob I tried that but my bad leg is on the right. When the bike is on the side stand it feels awkward to mount from the other side, As for now I get by ok by standing on the floorboard with my left foot. From what i've read I think the 84 is a bit higher the some models. I never had a problem with my 83 course I was 22 years younger lol. I think I will still try to go with the solo seat I seen the pictures riff raff posted of his and it looks good.

I am from the old school of whatever it takes to ride. When my youngest first started to ride at 4 we had a hard time because he could not touch the ground, so we took the seat off and tied some pampers to the frame. :smilie_happy: he still hears about that one from his friends. :Egyptian:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, tj46!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

tj46":3sg4l49d said:
My problem is I'm 65 and had a hip operation and have a hard time swinging my leg over the seat so I stand on the foot rest to do so.

Welcome to the forum Tj.
If steping up on the foot peg to mount works for you, I don't think I would want to give up the comfort of the seat by cutting it down or giving up the possibility of riding two up.
I too am 65, will be 66 in a matter of days. Thankfully both of my legs work perfectly, they just happen to be length challenged. :smilie_happy:
I like to park my bike on the center stand which makes it high enough that mounting means I usually drag my foot across the seat and/or kick the saddle bags.
I have learned to suck up my pride, step up on the foot peg, make a clean mount and go enjoy my ride just like the big boys. :music:

Hmmm, no better thread to pitch a sidecar on! :Egyptian:

I find that many of the issues of age related stuff are addressed with a hack, or trike. While I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam, I am also 250# and 67 y.o. and dinged up from being ridden hard and put away wet way too many years.
I ALWAYS mount by stepping on the left footpeg and swinging my leg over. I NEVER have to worry about the bike falling over (unlike my old 87 Aspy), I NEVER worry about road conditions and can ride on pea gravel, mud, rough two track or snow and ice nearly as well as drive superslab without worrying a skosh about dropping the bike... I can hop off and push my rig most anywhere backwards...( except uphill these days :roll: )

And in my twisted way of thinking, I don't think of sidecars as an orthopedic device like I do a trike...but hey, that is just an unfounded prejudice and I am not serious... :Doh2:

Rant over! :oops:

Cheers
Brian

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and suggestions. To WindNWing I pretty much use the same method and my legs are also kind of length challenged that along with my weight 290 I have created the perfect storm for mounting my wing lol, But as mentioned whatever works meanwhile I am working on the weight issue which I'm sure will help.

welcome to the classic ....you may find it will take a little time for your leg to get used to it and then ease up some on you....with me ...i have no problem getting on the bike but then can suffer camps in my legs and hip ...sometimes so bad i have to stop ...but it dosnt happen often

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes. I have decided to stay with the original seat because of comfort and being able to carry a passenger. We finally got some snow here in Windsor up till now it has been a non winter and I have been able to get in some riding even on Christmas and New Years day. Looking forward to to the spring for more riding.

WindNWing":2gwnvvrd said:
tj46":2gwnvvrd said:
My problem is I'm 65 and had a hip operation and have a hard time swinging my leg over the seat so I stand on the foot rest to do so.

Welcome to the forum Tj.
If steping up on the foot peg to mount works for you, I don't think I would want to give up the comfort of the seat by cutting it down or giving up the possibility of riding two up.
I too am 65, will be 66 in a matter of days. Thankfully both of my legs work perfectly, they just happen to be length challenged. :smilie_happy:
I like to park my bike on the center stand which makes it high enough that mounting means I usually drag my foot across the seat and/or kick the saddle bags.
I have learned to suck up my pride, step up on the foot peg, make a clean mount and go enjoy my ride just like the big boys. :music:

doesn't everybody use the foot peg to swing the leg over ?