Newbie and already have a question. Want to ride this week

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtxwing

Reaction score
Hi I'm Mike and live in southern Illinois. Bought a 1986 goldwing 1200 not long ago. Was doing fine till winter. Went to start it and sounded like the battery was barely turning it over. Replaced battery, still doing it. Like it turns like a sneeze and stops. So I tapped the starter with a small hammer and it was able to start and since it was the first spring start I accidentally let it die after 10 seconds or so. Is my starter bad? Hard to replace if it is?

Also can be solenoid contacts oxidized. But yeah, check all wiring (including wire-to-connector joints) from battery to the motor. And even if it is the motor, they often just need removed and cleaned/relubed.

Thanks for the replies. It still did it after the initial start. I also used a jump wire from the battery positive to the starter connection. Same result

Going to change the starter out. Someone said the 85 has a ring that will fall is that the same on the 86?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209101#p209101:iq1n0wy4 said:
vtxwing » Yesterday, 7:21 am[/url]":iq1n0wy4]
Going to change the starter out. Someone said the 85 has a ring that will fall is that the same on the 86?

Welcome from the west coast rock of Canada (Vancouver Island).

There is no ring to fall. The internal starter gear, that the starter fits into will just hang there. You will get some oil out the starter hole. You may have to remove the exhaust stud closest to the starter, I mention may have to.

You may want to read the tutorials on cleaning the original starter on this and other forums. Saves a lot of money. Take apart, clean, new brushes, back together and install.

Good Luck.

Tilting the bike a little will align the starter gear with the starter shaft and make re-assembly easier, so put the bike on the side stand before re-installing the starter. Or is it the other way around? Been so long since I cleaned a starter that I can't remember.

Always change the starter with bike on the side stand.That way the starter shaft will line up with the gear hanging on the chain.

Before you replace anything....clean the starter body where it contacts the motor case. Clean it right down to bare metal and shiny. I discovered this was the problem AFTER I replaced the battery, rebuilt the starter twice, and cleaned every Other contact in the starting circuit. Yes, you have to pull the starter to do this, but it's a whole lot less costly than replacing a bunch of stull!
This is how we learn...

Sorry about the loss. To really check just the starter , use an auto jumper cable from battery - post to the starter body (paint-free spot) and battery + post to starter post.