Nitrogen

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy1957

Reaction score
Anyone use nitrogen in their tires ?Been reading on it and seems it mite make a little diffance on tire life.

Nope.

I think it's gimmick. Allow me to share my theory. :wave:
What is Nitrogen supposed to do for our tires? Well, rumor has it, that it's not as temperature sensitive and don't expand as much and as fast as oxygen, keeping our tire pressures more consistent. (NASCAR?) And we won't have to keep filling up our tires because the Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and won't bleed out of the tire over time. The air we breath is 78% Nitrogen anyways. So we are only running 21% oxygen in our tires now with regular air. If I have to air up my tires once a month because they bleed down, eventually I will end up with 99% Nitrogen anyways. Right?

Seriously though, I wouldn't pay extra for Nitrogen when I can get plain air for free. I just don't see the benefit. I feel the money would be better spent for transmission fluid in the gas tank. :good:

Too late....
blinkfluid.jpg

The real problem with nitrogen is finding a place to get it. Depending on where you live, there may be places(shops) that have it, may not. You can buy tanks of it, but...what if you have a flat on the road?
I was at a drag race once on my 750A Honda years ago. When I was ready to leave, I found my rear tire flat. Most folks were already gone, but a few of the fuel teams were still there. I asked one of the crew guys if they had any way I could air me tire up, and he brought out a tank, and he told me it was nitrogen, as that's what the used on the FC tires. I just looked at him funny, since I had never heard of that at the time. He had a little fun with me, and told me I had to be careful, and not put too much in, because it would make the bike too light, and it might float off the ground.....
Had me worried there for a minute or two....

Anyway, I don't see the advantage of using nitrogen on a regular basis.....