No club for me here

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1985 Kawasaki Concours
1975 Honda GL1000
I currently live in the Houston, Texas area due to family obligations, my hometown is San Antonio and there is where I really learned to ride up in the Hill County with a loose collection of motorcyclist riding everything from touring bikes to standards, cruisers, Gixxers and Ninjas. Two of the regulars were semi-pro road racers and these guys I owe a lot to.

We would meet on Saturday or Sunday mornings at a small, independent shop run by a Hungarian immigrant with a vast knowledge of every make you can think of. He had a Ducati 900SS in the shop window and a array of Japanese, British, European Continental, and American bikes either under repair or for sale.

Well, this area of Texas is flat and the roads are straight as an arrow so there's no road racing types here but also I just can't find a group interested in classic bikes. All I find on Google and Facebook are either Harley only or extended swingarm Hayabusa types.

In this huge city I feel all alone, it's pretty depressing.

You could start your own group?
I don't have a social media presence and frankly I hate this area. I hate the humid, soppy weather, hate the crumbling roads, hate the demographic change, hate the crime, hate the road rage, hate the government corruption, hate the greed, hate the woodlands and water degradation, and once my relative passes on I'm outta here. Maybe moving to Terre Haute, IN to be close to the Indianapolis Speedway and hilly areas.

I feel for you...I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks, we've got any kind of riding you desire, off-roading is great ( where I cut my teeth 50 years ago),and the 2 lane blacktop roads are rarely straight, hills and curves everywhere. Move to the Ozarks ,you'll find motorcycle paradise.
The only drawback is in rural areas ,motorcycle clubs are few and far between, Ive always been a lone wolf, very few close friends, my favorite motorcycle buddies, older guys that I rode with and learned from have died off. But Im happy riding alone ,just me ,my bike and the scenery around me.

Last edited:
I hate the humid, soppy weather, hate the crumbling roads, hate the demographic change, hate the crime, hate the road rage, hate the government corruption, hate the greed, hate the woodlands and water degradation, and once my relative passes on I'm outta here.
Wow, I'm sorry you have to wait for a Love One to die to go in search of your paradise.

Houston is not that different from other large cities; Chicago, LA, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and almost anywhere along the east coast. Large cities seem to develop the environment you described.

I live about an hour north of The Woodlands and we have some pretty good places to ride. I live off of FM-224 which attracts a lot of want-to-be Road Racers (most from Houston area). We life flight 2 or 3 a year because they aren't as good as they thought they were. Not comparable to 3-Sisters or Tail of The Dragon, but lots of curves and elevation changes.

Good luck, Bud...

Wow, I'm sorry you have to wait for a Love One to die to go in search of your paradise.

Houston is not that different from other large cities; Chicago, LA, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and almost anywhere along the east coast. Large cities seem to develop the environment you described.

I live about an hour north of The Woodlands and we have some pretty good places to ride. I live off of FM-224 which attracts a lot of want-to-be Road Racers (most from Houston area). We life flight 2 or 3 a year because they aren't as good as they thought they were. Not comparable to 3-Sisters or Tail of The Dragon, but lots of curves and elevation changes.

Good luck, Bud...
You'll up there have had it bad with the flooding, hope you weren't affected.
As an example of local government incompetence the lake authority neglected to open up the floodgates before the predicted flooding and then dumped millions of cubic feet into the homes of people downstream in order to protect the high value lakeside properties.

I'm kind of off bikes for a while due to a separated AC joint, but still congregate almost weekly at Twisters Diner in Knoxville on Tuesdays when the Time Warp Vintage Motorcyle Club gathers to eat, check out each others rides, bench race, swap lies, etc. I drive, or ride the Spyder for now. Many there can no longer ride 2 wheelers, but still enjoy them. Planning to get my AC joint fixed and be back there on two wheels myself next summer.

During the winter 1999-2000 I had upgraded from a dohc Honda CB750F to a Yamaha FJ1100 purchased for $800 due to an abused 2nd gear. While the engine was apart I had the block resleeved for a Wiseco 1314cc big bore, ported the heads, finished it off with an APE racing clutch and head studs, Yoshimura slip-ons, and jet kit. This bike was a BEAST! I thought to myself "now I can hang with the two pro racers".

First ride of the new season was rather chilly as the group headed off for a fuel stop in Helotes before the ride up Hwy 16 for breakfast in Bandera. While I was topping off the two guys left the pumps. In a panic I slammed the pump nozzle into the pump, zipped up the jacket, and took off.

I rode as fast as I could going up into the hills to at least get sight of them but was having no luck. When I say fast I mean like one of those entrant in the Isle of Man TT videos with no regard for speed traps because they should get pulled over first, right?

Reached the restaurant and there was no one there. What the hell? A minute later the two guys then the rest of the group caught up. They were like, "man, you are ####ing FAST! I only saw you twice but couldn't close the gap."

What happened; they have not left town but went across the street were other members were finishing fueling up. It make for a round of laughs around a table of breakfast tacos and coffee.

I miss those days.

Good luck, Bud...
Not a loved one, my dad's third wife. It's a long story, might account for a large sum. Don't want to sound greedy but social security doesn't account to a hill of beans ...