No fuel and a unusual find

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslatk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought my first Goldwing that had a no-start (no-spark?) condition. Cleaned various connections (connected/reconnect) and tightened others. Rechecked for spark and got it. Oh no, still no start! Got that one figured out too tonight. Now a fuel problem. Removed all old fuel from tank and put in a gallon of new. Filter was okay. Checked for vacuum at inlet of fuel pump when cranking. No vacuum. Thought it might need a pump. New part cost at about $80. (cheapest) or EBAY used at about $40+. Before I think about a new pump, I figured I should take the top off pump and look at the pump diaphragm and check valves. Previous owner must of had top of pump off because I found Inlet check valve installed incorrectly. It was laying on diaphragm (both the spring and disc) Had to removed a screw to get to the check valve to correct its installation. (Maybe I had spark all along and that I just didn't have a good ground a the plug when I checked for spark) After fixing the problem (I hoped), I cranked the engine over. IT STARTED! :good: Ran rough at first but smoothed out pretty good. Noticed a major gas leak at one carb and had to shut it down. Didn't want to. First time I heard the engine run and it sounded good. Now I figure I got dirt between the needle and seat at one carb float. I'm gonna cross my fingers and see if I can clear it without taking the carb apart. That will be later, maybe this weekend. It's been a good night.
Update: Started bike yesterday morning (Friday). The fuel in carb must have loosened up. Started right up, no flooding but did smoke a quite a bit. That went away shortly and idled nicely! Bought the bike for $600 as a no-start and it has about 30,000 + miles on her. Can't wait to take her out this weekend for a short ride. My first Goldwing. Always wanted one. Took 58 years to get one. Brought this one back to life. :yahoo:
:thanks:
Thanks for the warm welcome in the New Members thread.

Great to hear your getting 'er back on the road!

Ultimately you'll probably have to take the carbs down for a rebuild but enjoy as long as you can.

Also check good for rust in the fuel.
The fine dust like particles can get past the filter and bugger up the carbs.

:hi: Great work...Now add some Seafoam to the tank to help clean upthe tank and carbs...later start using ATF to keep it clean and then let me know when you want to ride as i am only up rhe freeway from you and like to r1de whenever i can.. I do a lot of riding around the vally in the winter and in the foothills in the summer..many day rides of about 270 miles or more...I can leave my front door without a plan and do 200 miles easly...Just need a riding partner who is more dependable then the one I have been riding with (ME) :smilie_happy: Bob

Hi Guys,
Appreciate the comebacks. FYI, I changed the oil and filter, added 4 gal. of Chevron Premium with 4 oz. of Seafoam. Started the bike and let her run till at normal operating temperature then shut her down. That was late Sunday night. Sounded pretty good...an improvement. Put back on her dress (sounds funny) and tagged her (2011). Took my first ride Monday morning before work. Not even a mile, but just wanted my first ride. Bike ran well, better then me. I felt pretty awkward at low speed with this heavy of a bike. Had to get ready for work. Looking forward to tomorrow. Have to check the level in the final drive. Plan on replacing timing belts soon. Only 30,000 miles + but has it been changed in 30 years? Looks pretty easy. :read: Sometime I would like to get together with some of you guys for a ride. Some are "just down the road". Don't quite trust the bike yet, but getting there. The bike has surprised me so far. :yes:

be careful or over careful is good till you get used to the her...the bike been off the job for awhile check if often till your comfortable with the bike and yourself :mrgreen:

aslatk":1ogcsbe8 said:
Plan on replacing timing belts soon. Only 30,000 miles + but has it been changed in 30 years? Looks pretty easy. :read:

Good question with an answer unknown. In 1980 the life span of a timing belt was about 30,000 miles.
These days materials have improved and many timing belts will go 70,000 - 100,000 miles (not all) and you can't just tell by looking at the belt anymore.

When you do the timing belts would be a good time to run through the valve adjustment, too.

When you do the belts there is no better advise I can give than to back the valve adjusters all the way out.
I just did this and how sweet it is being able to easily turn the cam a touch to set the belt.
This also makes it less likely a valve will bump the piston if the timing isn't right during re checking.

Thanks for the good word and advice. Can you still get the Gates belts from NAPA or would there be a better place or better belt?

Starting Friday, eight days of rain or showers are forecast. Hope the weekend provides some break from the rain so I can give the bike more of a road test. For those of you dealing with the heavy snows or floods........makes my wishful thinking about a break in the weather during the weekend seem less important. Hope all have nice holidays ahead.

:salute: