OD light on all the time

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patcoburn

Reaction score
I have an issue that perhaps someone can help with. I have to start the bike with the clutch handle pulled in. The neutral light is on but goes out when in gear. The OD light is on all the time. I've changed the clutch switch and the silicon rectifier. Still have to engage clutch to start. Any suggestions? Not a big deal but just not quite right.

Since the OD light is on all the time some wire connections might be wrong or the switch in the front cover is acting up or not aligned properly so it sits at the right position.
This is a dual action switch on the Interstate and Standard models inside the front cover which detects when it's in neutral and in OD.

There's a plug if you follow the wires coming up from the front cover right behind where the oil filter is.
Does the OD light go off when that's unplugged?

Hah! My OD light nor neutral light ever comes on....we can split the difference and maybe they will work right....
Actually I know why mine are screwed up and it is EXACTLY as Dan says and a misalign in the front cover when I replaced it after a water pump change....I am too lazy to take it off again and have gotten handy at finding neutral and in starting with the clutch pulled....

I just think of it as another bike lock....I can leave the key in it (not that I do) and be fairly sure it will be there when I come back to it.... :cheeky:

Brian

"OD" light?????? Is that the red light on the Odometer????If that is what it is it comes on when the key is turnes on and will go out when the air pressure is about 28 lbs the procedures are in the Clymer M340 manual for 78-83 1000/1100 pages 216/220 with electrical diagram on 218. I found the green wire to the air valve (Fig 94) page 219 broken off when I had the problem. :read: :whistling:

No, it's the Overdrive Indicator light and it is on the lower right side of the tachometer.

Attachments

• OD light.jpg
    OD light.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 139
By the way - that light is a very cool purple color. Kinda soothing even when it shouldn't be on!
:Egyptian:

toytender01":2omcg5yv said:
Those damb 83 get every thing messed up, overdrive??????? Ther probably have turnsignal cancelling also :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I have automatic cancelling signals on my '81-'82-'83 hybrid........when I turn them on I auotmatically cancel them when I push them with my finger and they go off! :smilie_happy:

dan filipi":16yme8ct said:
My OD light doesn't work because I have an 81 engine in my 83 so no switch to connect it to but my self cancels work as advertised :yes:
Are you saying I should have the OD light wire somewhere on my '83 engine? Might be cool to find it and look for a place to hook it up!

dan filipi":2rypusl4 said:
Yes, the 83 has a second wire from the front engine cover together with the neutral switch wire.
It provides the ground for the OD bulb.
:Doh2: I remember that wire now! I think I might have cut it to splice in the neutral light switch to my wire harness! Now I gotta look to see if I was smart enough to leave it long enough to use! :rant: :Doh2: :rtfm:

viewtopic.php?p=4931#p4931

The OD light was on because PO put a tachometer light in the hole for the OD light on the back of the tach! Sooo OD light actually never works. I also have to depress clutch to start the engine. Bet the wiring is the cause. I've seen a couple of messes under the hood! :crying: