odd 230 rear tier question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Should have posted this late last summer but busy busy. Put new 230's front and rear on the 82 1100. Noticed black rubber dust on left side of rear engine case and what I found was tire was rubbing rod that runs from rear caliper to frame. So I took it off and put in vice crushed it and bent it a little for clearance and it worked. But just today was looking and saw on right side next to drive shaft there is almost no clearance about 1/4 in. or less!!!! it doesn't rub no marks on tire. Tire size is 140/90-16. Looked at part fiches and didn't see any washers or spacers that would keep tire away from drive shaft. Is this just an ill fitting tire for the 82 model. What do you all think. Could there be something that was lost Jerry

I have owners manual and it calls for 140/90-16 rear and 120/90-18 front . Rear is just to wide. If I went with a 130 and the front is a 120 there's not much difference. Wonder how it would handle.

I doubt you've lost anything Jerry. Some brands even specific models of tires just "grow" a little more than others. That is to say after they are pressurized they swell a bit wider than others. Close fitting isn't an issue really as long as they don't rub.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for a while and see and hope I don't smell that burnt rubber smell. It's really close to drive shaft.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151931#p151931:3cpt2f6p said:
jpwinger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:38 am[/url]":3cpt2f6p]
Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for a while and see and hope I don't smell that burnt rubber smell. It's really close to drive shaft.
Look on the bright side you have the fattest tire that will fit. :BigGrin: 1/4" gap is really plenty. Same size tire from another model line or manufacturer will probably have more clearance. I'd run it and just watch for scuffs on the sides.

I may have stretched the 1/4" a little. I have a spare 82 swing arm and I can look at the spot where the tire runs the closest. The swing arm is stamped and joined together and There's a lip of about 3/16" or so but also right in that spot there is a shield or 2nd layer of metal formed for added protection of the swing arm. So there is a little more room to get not much but a little. The thing is I rode pulling the trailer down to Joe's about 160 miles then over to Mt Vernon to Tom's about 150 miles then back home. Hope I'm not under there with a grinder!!!! Goanna keep a real close eye and nose ( hot rubber smell) on it. Jerry

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151899#p151899:3jibumvr said:
Ansimp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:11 pm[/url]":3jibumvr]
My rear is a 130

Good to know. :thanks: I would probably be looking at 230s for my '82 when I need new tires. So maybe getting a 130 for the rear might be a good idea. :headscratch: Would the skinnier tire have a reduced load rating or make the bike handle weird?

Thanks
Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152180#p152180:208mbv8v said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:46 pm[/url]":208mbv8v]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151899#p151899:208mbv8v said:
Ansimp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:11 pm[/url]":208mbv8v]
My rear is a 130

Good to know. :thanks: I would probably be looking at 230s for my '82 when I need new tires. So maybe getting a 130 for the rear might be a good idea. :headscratch: Would the skinnier tire have a reduced load rating or make the bike handle weird?

Thanks
Brian
As Joe said the 82 has a different rear to the 80-81 :yes:

Still watching and smelling. Haven't done anything yet. But with visual inspection on bike and then looking a spare swing arm there just not much more clearance to get. The tube section of swing arm is pretty thin but where tire is closest is where Honda added more protection. The way they added to thin tube part of swing arm the most there is to get is maybe 1/8 o 3/16 in. On tire there is just a small amount of discoloration that 2 maybe 3 ft. away you can't see it there. No scrapes or any damage to tire it is still smooth as the rest of side wall. If anything happens to tire like like lost of air pressure I think tire could lock up!!! I remember late last summer there was the hot rubber smell I thought was coming from the left side only and I got clearance for that side and its ok now. In my opinion the 140/90-16 rear tire is a ill fitting tire for the 82 model but that size is specified in owners manual. Gotta do something or get a 130 Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152185#p152185:14p92yg4 said:
jpwinger » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 am[/url]":14p92yg4]
Still watching and smelling. Haven't done anything yet. But with visual inspection on bike and then looking a spare swing arm there just not much more clearance to get. The tube section of swing arm is pretty thin but where tire is closest is where Honda added more protection. The way they added to thin tube part of swing arm the most there is to get is maybe 1/8 o 3/16 in. On tire there is just a small amount of discoloration that 2 maybe 3 ft. away you can't see it there. No scrapes or any damage to tire it is still smooth as the rest of side wall. If anything happens to tire like like lost of air pressure I think tire could lock up!!! I remember late last summer there was the hot rubber smell I thought was coming from the left side only and I got clearance for that side and its ok now. In my opinion the 140/90-16 rear tire is a ill fitting tire for the 82 model but that size is specified in owners manual. Gotta do something or get a 130 Jerry
I think you're good Jerry. It's as big as it's going to get if it lost pressure it'd get wide and flat on the road but not in the swingarm.

Does the tire tread over hang the sidewall of the tire as some do? If so you can use an angle grinder and wear a little bit of it off with no harm.

Latest posts