oil........again!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
After talking about what are the best oils to use in our GL1100's and making sure that the container doesn't say" Energy Conserving": and that it doesn't contain any friction reducers. I looked at my Mobil1 15W-40 synthetic and it has no such labels so I guess that is good. But then I checked the Honda Gold Synthetic 20W-50 and it says contains MOLY. Some were saying that the Honda Gold is the one to use but check your bottles as mine does say it contains MOLY.
After all your help, I have decided that any name brand synthetic oil that doesn't have any friction reducers or additives like moly or others in the 10W-40 grade would be perfect so no need to spend double on those high price brands like Amsoil or Royal Purple when I'm ok with changing it at 3-5 thousand miles anyway. That should be all I need when I hit the interstates in August.
Thanks again guys for all the data and opinions. Joe

I change my oil and filter every 1500 to 2000 miles.....and it is usually filthy by then!

CBH":3gi1q0z4 said:
I change my oil and filter every 1500 to 2000 miles.....and it is usually filthy by then!

I was changing mine every 1000 miles or 1 month aproximately. By then it was shoe polish black. I had run a healthy dose of SeaFoam in the crankcase for about a week (I think?) After draning that I went 1000 miles and changed the oil again with 10w40 Mobile One. After about 4000 miles the oil still looks new. When I say new I mean I gotta look really close to see the level on the dipstick. So now I'm thinking maybe that SeaFoam stuff really works?

joecool":3ime5enc said:
was that the Seafoam that you use in your fuel ?
Same stuff. I prefer to use 1/2 a quart of ATF as part of every other oil change. Either way a really good clean helps the oil last much longer.

so if I use that whole bottle of Seafoam, I think it's about 16oz....that wouldn't overfill it? And run that for about a week before I change the oil?

Trying to remember.......... :doh:

I think I may have used almost half the can in the crankcase, and the rest of the can in the gas tank split between 2 full tanks.

Haven't noticed any difference to speak of in the fuel system, but I can see the obvious difference for the crankcase.

After I draind the oil with the SeaFoam in it, I filled up with regular oil & filter. When I drained that, it was black also. From there I filled it with Mobil One and It's been clean ever since.

joecool":36hjkmvl said:
so if I use that whole bottle of Seafoam, I think it's about 16oz....that wouldn't overfill it? And run that for about a week before I change the oil?
NO NO NO NO! Read the bottle for the amount to add to oil. Remember it is a fuel system cleaner as well. So it is flammable. Too much in the oil can cause problems. Not so with ATF.

ok great ..thanks a bunch. I went to Napa and they had Castrol Full Synthetic Edge on sale for $5.79 a qt and then an additional $5.00 off a case of six. So I'm just going to run that 10W-40 when I head out for my trans continental trip in August. No additives just that and I should be fine.

just changed my oil after trying what sdcmarx said about flushing out the crankcase with Seafoam and "man did a lot of black come out!"....I went with the Castrol 10W-40 Synthetic and nothing else. I'll run this until I get close to heading out on my trip and then change it again with the 10W-40. I even think it shifts a bit smoother. I also think I'll run the 5W-30 in the winter just to keep it inline with what the owners manual says.
Special thanks to sdcmarx for some good answers to my questions without all the quirky comments!

PS scdmarx.......I only ran the Seafoam for a couple of days as I know it's flammable and it overfilled the crankcase so I'm sure a couple of days did the trick!

hello all i saw someware that rottella 15w40 worked well in the wing,and if you leeve 1 quart out and put acan of marvel mystery oil in and run it for at least 300 miles it realy cleans out the gunk. IIm gonna try that to see if it makes trans shift better . just a thaught. Bill

Thanks Joe i didnt know that, im just trying to see if trans shifts from 4th to 5th at high reves with out going to like nuetral then cant get back in gear.Any thaughts would be helpful.Thanks Bill :thanks: