oil/antifreeze leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NavyMarine1978":2fhdyprv said:
dan filipi":2fhdyprv said:
It sounds like the leak is lessening pretty quickly.
I'd pull the lower coolant fitting and see if the pump impeller has any play, if not I'd change out the coolant mix and keep putting miles on it, maybe the seals will soften and stop leaking.

For what it takes to change the pump it's worth a try to avoid it now.

I am guessing, that in perfect working order, that the water pump should not let out any amount of coolant? I keep checking the site glass for any signs of froth. There isn't any showing up there. I have not checked the filler cap yet. Is this the best way to keep an eye on the water pump?
Yes.

slabghost":1v755zir said:
NavyMarine1978":1v755zir said:
dan filipi":1v755zir said:
It sounds like the leak is lessening pretty quickly.
I'd pull the lower coolant fitting and see if the pump impeller has any play, if not I'd change out the coolant mix and keep putting miles on it, maybe the seals will soften and stop leaking.

For what it takes to change the pump it's worth a try to avoid it now.

I am guessing, that in perfect working order, that the water pump should not let out any amount of coolant? I keep checking the site glass for any signs of froth. There isn't any showing up there. I have not checked the filler cap yet. Is this the best way to keep an eye on the water pump?
Yes.

I do intend to repair the water pump if neccessary but, if the bike will function normally without damaging the engine, I would rather not. I have been quoted $350-400 parts and labour for the water pump. Old cars tend to leak a little and they continue to do so for years. They simply require a top up of fuid when needed. Will the 1100 do the same or is it more serious than an old car?

It should do the same.
I would keep an eye on the oil because unlike a car there is a chance for cross contamination of coolant into the oil.
The oil will start to turn brownish chocolate color and get increasingly lighter if more coolant is getting into the oil.
It doesn't sound like your having this problem though, just some slight weeping from the center seal.
I have replaced my water pump and occasionally see a drip or 2.

dan filipi":1mkbiyrb said:
It should do the same.
I would keep an eye on the oil because unlike a car there is a chance for cross contamination of coolant into the oil.
The oil will start to turn brownish chocolate color and get increasingly lighter if more coolant is getting into the oil.
It doesn't sound like your having this problem though, just some slight weeping from the center seal.
I have replaced my water pump and occasionally see a drip or 2.

I see. So, even though you did replace the water pump with a new one, it still has a drip or two? I know that oil into the coolant is nothing compared to coolant into the oil. I will check under the filler cap to make sure, but there does not appear to be any coolant in the oil. I will check the impeller as well next time I change the coolant.