oil leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think telling people you can polish aluminum is like saying you know how to tape sheetrock.....you don't want that to get out or everyone will be calling you.

Sounds like I better recheck the tension on the belts. I also have to adjust the valves and I guess from reading the manual that the timing is automatically adjusted?

i think what there saying in the manual is the timing is pre set at the pic up coils in the rear of the motor ...that has nothing to do with ...belt timing or valve adjustment ...

it is a good idea now to check the belt if good adjust belt tension in a spot with no pressure on the cam ....then the otherside too ...once done with that is the time to set valves ...if done when belts are not tensioned right it can be off in reality and not run as smooth as it can when all the slack is done just right ...they will run smoother this way and less likely spit and stutter as they can do witch is exzagerated by the increased slop of thing when slack and backfire happens at times and when cold :mrgreen:

All back together and runs great, no leaks, belts and valves adjusted. I have a couple more questions.... this bike has a long threaded rod for the front lower engine mount, my guess is that's not OEM? Does anyone know what diameter the original rod was? I thought I would get a smooth rod and cut threads on the ends. I found a couple on ebay but by the time you pay shipping it's not worth it. Also I'm doing some repair on the plastic parts and they all seem to be black ABS except for the front fender(it's a light grey plastic) Will ABS glue work on that or is it something totally different?

The threaded rod is good enough but if you want to make it more original it looks like 9/16 or 14mm diameter.
Measure outside to outside frame plus a lockwasher and nut on both ends.

Thanks Dan,

I just contributed a little cash to the cause. I really appreciate all the good info and help here, I'll do more as I can.

Glenn

I pulled the intake manifolds off just to polish them and there is a good bit of black deposit on the inside where they attach to the heads. Is that normal or does it indicate leaking valves? They all are about the same.

hmmmm ...with the intake you could pour something in port to see if it leaks down into clylinder and how fast ...this would give good info how the valve shape is on each clylinder .......plugs out of motor kill switch in kill ...to spin out anything that leak down in chamber....make valve is totaly closed whem testing and rocker has play in it ....a pic of what your talking about would be nice to see