Oldwing starts no more

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm the sense wire is black only on 1000 and 1100s ...I’m not sure on 1200s...I’m not sure this will help your problem either ....but it does cause problems ..but mostly overcharging ...but running it to battery may eliminate a short somewhere

Black/Lt.green wire sense wire on 1200's. Charge diagram is on page 156 of the 1986 El ctric troubleshooting manual that is in the gallery. Original sense wire can underreport the condition of the battery to the battery by as much as 1.5 volts causing the regulator to overcharge and ruin the battery because of dirty contacts, age of wires and such. There are threads on site showing how to fix this by use of 4 pin Automotive relay which allows direct reading of battery condition yet protects electrical system

backlander":b5mtorby said:
Black/Lt.green wire sense wire on 1200's. Charge diagram is on page 156 of the 1986 El ctric troubleshooting manual that is in the gallery. Original sense wire can underreport the condition of the battery to the battery by as much as 1.5 volts causing the regulator to overcharge and ruin the battery because of dirty contacts, age of wires and such. There are threads on site showing how to fix this by use of 4 pin Automotive relay which allows direct reading of battery condition yet protects electrical system
overcharging, yes. My issue is different. i have normal charge untill 2300 u/min and no charge above 2300 u/min. let's say them undercharge depending on the engine regime.
the sense wiring didn't change anything in the results of the voltages. it must be something others, but what?

next idea
what about the in-line capacitor feeded from the regulator green wires and going out to the red/white wire? could this capacitor be the cause of my gremlin?

i found many critical comments in the net about capacitors. what for did honda put it in the oldwing? may i just take it away and connect the wires together?

I went back and read this entire thread and with everything you have changed ,cleaned, repaired and tested, you should not be having any problems with the charging system. If you consider the function of each component in the charging system, I'm going to have to say you have a bad regulator even though you just changed it out. I don't know if you replaced it with a new or used one but either can come broken before you even install it. I'm at a loss otherwise.

backlander":1u9661m5 said:
I went back and read this entire thread and with everything you have changed ,cleaned, repaired and tested, you should not be having any problems with the charging system. If you consider the function of each component in the charging system, I'm going to have to say you have a bad regulator even though you just changed it out. I don't know if you replaced it with a new or used one but either can come broken before you even install it. I'm at a loss otherwise.
thank you for taking the time for my issue!
i was also thinking about it but thought a new one should be ok. i'll to try a third one.
well, let's do it and hope the next one will work right.

is it right the regulator SH541-12 with the parts number 31600-MG9-000 and 010 can't be purchased new anymore?

i find 'em only used or from other makes like the one i buyed before.

i have everytime the risk to buy one that doesn't work right. it can become a costly thing 'till i get a good one.

what do you recommend me to do? a new or an used oem?

i've taken a precise look at both regulators, the old oem and the new one.
there where they say i should have continuity i don't and where i should have no continuity i do have. just the opposite of the troubleshooting manual.

are my regulators or the manual wrong?

example:
+yellow -green should not. i get continuity
+yellow -red/white should have. i get no continuity. and so on.

Could be, I think the reg/text has to be unplugged to check it also is the reason I suggested to follow the test procedure in the service manual. Electrical gremlins are tuff to run down.

JoeBarTeam":332i7adf said:
i've taken a precise look at both regulators, the old oem and the new one.
there where they say i should have continuity i don't and where i should have no continuity i do have. just the opposite of the troubleshooting manual.

are my regulators or the manual wrong?

example:
+yellow -green should not. i get continuity
+yellow -red/white should have. i get no continuity. and so on.
I see my example is wrong, excuse me.

I should have written like this:
+yellow to -green must have continuity. i don't
+yellow to -red/white no continuity. i have.

just the opposite what i wrote before and the opposite of what i should get. seen at haynes and the other manuals. the measures are taken with the regulator of the bike.
that's why i asked if this is enough to say both regulators, the old and the new buyed are out of order, what i suppose.

backlander":2r0fom0q said:
Start here in Honda Service manual GL 1200 in gallery ,chapter 16 to test charging system.
looking at this manual i see something new to me, the noise filter. i'll check this too.

JoeBarTeam":13wat5w3 said:
backlander":13wat5w3 said:
Start here in Honda Service manual GL 1200 in gallery ,chapter 16 to test charging system.
looking at this manual i see something new to me, the noise filter. i'll check this too.
i went with the picture of the noise filter to my oldwing to identify the right part and... where is this noise filter? my oldwing hasn't it. no noise filter, nothing to test.

There are two manuals Mike, the Elecrical Manual that shows the layout and components from which the diagram you posted came from and the one I posted from the Service Manual that has the testing procedure in it.

i am looking in every manual that seems to be the right one. i didn't see the one with the noise filter isn't for the 86. what about the in-line capacitor? is this needed at all?

Latest posts