Ontario to BC - 1985 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a look at the schematic for the bike. The clutch switch has a green/red wire going to it and a green to ground. I'm thinking a new ground wire as grounds can always be an issue. Worst case is this does not work and there is some other issue that needs to be addressed.
1985 GW Starter System 003.jpg

Today has been a good day. Bike has a safety, have transit permit, bike is partially loaded - finish in the morning, laundry is getting done. Heading to Toronto in the morning, then to Ottawa on Monday.

Took a picture of spring time work in northern Ontario - getting ready for next winter:
Spring Work.jpg

Finished and loaded the bike - couple of pictures:
Bike Ready 1.jpg
Bike Ready 3.jpg

Brother's happy - getting his garage back.

Cheers

Nothing like the heat from a wood stove when it's cold. My brother mentioned he burned 6 face cords in his garage over the winter. I helped deplete his wood stock over Xmas. Made for working in the garage very enjoyable.

Found some Limited Edition luggage from a fellow in Ottawa, will be picking these up when I get there - rear trunk and two saddlebags. Here are some pictures:
Trunk Bag.JPG
Luggage 4.JPG

Cheers

Currently sitting in front of our new (first full winter) slow combustion heater. :blush:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203144#p203144:3r3awipt said:
Ansimp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm[/url]":3r3awipt]
Currently sitting in front of our new (first full winter) slow combustion heater. :blush:

Yeah, we all know how bitterly cold it gets in Brisbane in the winter time, Tony.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203149#p203149:2l3pfj3q said:
desertrefugee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:48 am[/url]":2l3pfj3q]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=203144#p203144:2l3pfj3q said:
Ansimp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm[/url]":2l3pfj3q]

Yeah, we all know how bitterly cold it gets in Brisbane in the winter time, Tony.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Update required - in Toronto at the daughter and son-in-law's place for the weekend. Drove down from my brother's place yesterday. Weather was mixed, heavy mist when I left almost like rain, and turned into a lovely day as I got closer to Toronto.

Had an issue starting off. Bike was kicking like a good thing shortly after I left in the morning, returned to my brother's. Tweaked the cylinder bank balancing screw and idle adjustment a bit - know that you can throw the system out of wack if you do too much without gauges. Engine ran better. Found a couple of electrical issues, fixed as well. Got back on the road at around 1230 and issues seemed to go away, for a while that is. Heard some engine pinging as I drove south, just kept it in the back of my mind. The engine really kicks when nearing empty. 21 litre tank, took 20.8 litres on the next fill. Note to self - fill up when half tank indicated for now - need to rest and stretch anyway.

Not a lot of issues after this, but with regular gas still had a kick every now and then, and some minor pinging.

This morning did a small tweak to the balance and idle, then out to breakfast with the kids and their friends for a bike ride. Had an issue getting the key in the gas cover. Did get it open but once closed again, would not open. Fortunately the PO had a spare lock cylinder - who has one of these - glad he did. Mike, Toni and their friend took off and we agreed to meet in Fergus south of Toronto after I changed the lock.

The bike seems to like premium gas, ran well all the way up to 4500 RPM. Did a loop of some 300 Kms and only hiccup is at starting off and I attribute this to TPS calibration that will be done when I go back up north to my brother's for a bike oil change, and a good going over before I head west.

The engine ran well as I mentioned, but fuel economy is terrible. Again, I attribute this to the TPS calibration and cylinder bank adjustment, but will accept terrible fuel economy as long as the engine is running well. Gives me a good feeling all will be well heading west.

The ride went to Fegrus, Elora for a look at the Elora Gorge and lunch/dinner. Took the back roads back to Toronto, lovely scenery. Son-in-law has a 2104 Moto Guzzi California Touring and his friend has a 2006 Yamaha Roadstar 1700 cc. Good company, good weather and good food.

Cheers

Some trip pictures for your viewing pleasure. Have been coming up to the Larder Lake area since 1958. There has been a small cemetery on the road into Larder that I have always meant to stop at but never did. Have now. It was chartered in 1908 and there is only the Garnett family interned here. The province MOT wanted to move the cemetery to straighten out the road but the family said no.
Garnett Cemetary.jpg
Garnett Cemetary 2.jpg

Stopped in Temagami. Used to be a bustling rail stop and northern hub. It's now a stop on the highway and place for cottagers and hikers. This picture is the old rail station refurbished.
Temagami.jpg

The Rock Pine restaurant and motel is about 30 miles north of North Bay and has become a favorite stop for my family and I to stop at when en route south. A defining landmark is the fish outside on the rock.
Rock Pine Restaurant.jpg

Took some pictures during the bike ride yesterday.
Elora Gorge Hole In The Rock.jpg
Elora Gorge 4.jpg
Elora Gorge 3.jpg
Elora Gorge 6.jpg

Not really a photo buff but giving it a go.

Enjoy. Cheers

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203144#p203144:1aknwczy said:
Ansimp » June 1st, 2018, 1:37 pm[/url]":1aknwczy]

Tony - even though you are going into winter, and you don't really get snow in Brisbane, the colour of snow is white, just saying. :music: If you do happen to get some at your place, don't eat the yellow stuff. :music:No need to change from summer to winter tires on the bikes.

You would of laughed at fellow VJMC members on Saturday all discussing “ heated handgrips”!! :yes:
I feel a bit like Darrell where our best riding is in winter as the air is crisp and the sky’s clear for as far as the eye can see atm. :good:
Great photos Ernest. :salute:

Just had a look at your weather forecast - 22 deg C and you are discussing heated hand grips!

Checked the TPS calibration today before the next leg of the test ride - not too far out of spec, .504 VDC - upper limit is supposed to be 0.495 VDC - not enough to play with right now - will wait until I get back north.

Rain in the forecast, pop at 40%. Looking at 16 deg C Tony - may need heated clothing. :music:

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203209#p203209:3ofb1fr5 said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:29 am[/url]":3ofb1fr5]
Just had a look at your weather forecast - 22 deg C and you are discussing heated hand grips!

Checked the TPS calibration today before the next leg of the test ride - not too far out of spec, .504 VDC - upper limit is supposed to be 0.495 VDC - not enough to play with right now - will wait until I get back north.

Rain in the forecast, pop at 40%. Looking at 16 deg C Tony - may need heated clothing. :music:

Cheers
Feel the heat Ernest. :blush:

Had a good ride today from Toronto to Long Sault, just south of Cornwall Ontario. 125 to 135 KPH all the way up the 401 - bike hiccuped a little starting out but ended the ride to Long Sault on a positive note. A short ride up to Ottawa in the afternoon. Nice 600ish Km ride. Few patches of rain en route - overcast all day, but as long as the GW is moving stay quite dry.

Have been thinking about the annoying sharp hesitation that occurs every now and then, and when it does happen is quite noticeable. Thought it might be the clutch slipping but if so, it is something that would not go away. I have been thinking that it is a fuel issue. The reason I am thinking this is that when I put fuel in and remove the gas cap, there should be an out rush of air. When I take the gas cap off, there is none of this as if it was fully vented, but I have read and been told that an out rush of air is normal to which I subscribe because my other '85 LTD does it regularly. I'm of the opinion that the fuel pump is just meeting the demand sometimes and not quite so at others, hence the sharp hesitation that I am feeling. Going to a local auto wrecker here in Ottawa tomorrow to see if I can source another used fuel pump.

The pump on the bike at present is off my other bike and may be on the way out after some 34 years. Have also sourced a Spectra SP1186 at the local jobber where my brother lives - pay a premium to go this way but it would meet my timeline that is important at this time. There are other models and alternatives, but this one has the proper connection at the output that matches the OEM fuel pump discharge.

A new/different fuel pump before I head west - 5000 Kms - isn't a bad idea in my books. I'm also thinking fuel because there are no error codes and this indicates that there should be no electrical issues.

Here's a picture of my son-in-law and I at his place in Toronto:
Mike and I in Toronto.jpg
He rides a thoroughbred Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400 cc. He takes me at the start but once going, I tend to keep up without punishing the GW too much.

Cheers

Logic sure sounds right to me. I hope a new pump fixes the issue and the ride is pleasant and uneventful.

Forgot to mention one other issue that has led me to this mindset. When the bike is started and idling, hit the throttle to increase RPM and engine dies. Have to be very astute with the throttle to get the engine to increase in RPM. Once the bike is moving it does not too bad. Should find out this morning.

This bike reminds me of the movie "The Martian" and the Star Trek movies where, in the movie The Martian, Matt Damon mentioned that Mars will come to fear him as he is a botanist, ergo, I am higher on the food chain and this bike will be assimilated and its uniqueness will form part of the collective. At the end of the movie The Martian, Matt Damon is addressing a class of upcoming astronauts and mentions that you can either accept your fate, or start doing what is necessary to get home. You fix one problem, then another, and if you fix enough problems you get to go home. Good philosophy and one I'm using right now - my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers

That sounds like a tps problem Ernest. My BA RTV has a similar fault and it is the accelerator reostat (fly by wire) which luckily throws a fault code so there isn’t any confusion.

Latest posts