overnight in parks?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
anyone have any experience in staying overnight in city or state parks as apposed to hotels? How do cops view that,is it legal?

scdmarx":1j8694bz said:
Well, if you're passing through here they'll write you a ticket that will make you wish you'd stayed in a motel. This ain't the wild west anymore, y'know.

Got that right, with California's budget in the toilet they're looking for money anywhere they can so be careful.

In michigan,The parks close at sundown period.Everybody put.

Im with SLAB,I did the camping thing while traveling on the bike,but after a long day riding I want a hot meal.hot shower and hot bed(or cold depending on the weather)

If your tougher than me you could always do the iron butt hotel thing.Ya know,a picnic table at a rest stop.

IN Texas, you can camp in most State Parks, in specified campground areas...for a fee, of course. Also, most of the State Parks will close down around 8pm....after that, there is NO movement of any vehicles...PERIOD. And they DO patrol the campgrounds to make sure that rule/law is followed.

I love camping....and I agree, must have a comfortable bed! I take a real good queen size air mattress that has multiple separate chambers so it doesn't move around as much. Here was my thread on what we take:
viewtopic.php?p=194#p194

Same in NJ...State parks are cheap and abundant around here!

Hi Joe,
Hard to do, except in small towns in the midwest...some even have plug-ins in the town parks for camping with a vehicle...
here is a book...two editions I think...one for the west and one for the east...in fact there may be more than one book on free camping:

https://www.amazon.com/Don-Wrights-Guide ... 0937877417

State parks often have campgrounds but more and more seem to be closing as funds get tighter....they almost all cost a few bucks, sometimes more than a few...

I am a big fan of BLM and US Forest Service dispersed free camping myself....Best to have a good dual sport bike for that or at least a hack so you can get out a bit and know you can get back! Of course you can just be a very good rider too...I have a friend who has passed on but he could ride an Interstate or Aspencade just about anywhere...I had a hard time keeping up on a thumper one time.... :cheeky:
Brian in NM

Happy trails....
Brian in NM

Here's a site I found that could be helpful, maybe not Parks but it's something to help..https://freecampgrounds.com/results.aspx?s=43 I have stayed at many State Parks through out Nation never any city Parks.. As mentioned above usually they close the Park early and that's it, follow all rules..Never any problem..

Here is a site run by a great young couple in their 30's who fulltime in a pickup camper. They were IT geeks for years and one day put the craziness of cubicles and the 9 to 5 workplace behind them and hit the road...I met them at the First Annual Rubbertramp Rondezvous in Quartzsite this winter and they are great fun....Johnny is a pretty fair juggler....with fire!

https://freecampsites.net/

We are all welcome to add to the site as we find new free campsites....

Enjoy....

Brian in NM