Parts interchange

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the oil pan (obviously the part into which the drain plug screws in) from '81 GL1100 fit my '82 GL1100A?

Mine got damaged drain plug hole thread so thinking about replacing it.
How involved is that going to be?

You could also check around for a re threading service to helicoil etc the threads. Down here a lot of workshops have sump plug repair kits that may also help sort out your problem

The front covers are basically the same on all 1100's with the exception of the neutral switch, which I'm not sure of on the 82 Aspencade if it's in the front cover or not. 81 neutral switch is in the side of the motor.
You could put the Aspi cover on the 81, just wouldn't be anything moving the neutral switch, but you'd already have the neutral switch in the side of the motor.

Okay, I looked up part number.

It's called "transmission cover."

'81 11360-463-000
'82 11360-MB9-000

Are they different?
I don't know much about part number scheme.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148712#p148712:3asb9i3n said:
TOWPRO » Wed May 13, 2015 4:00 pm[/url]":3asb9i3n]
At our shop we often get an oversize plug from the parts store, most are self taping.

This sounds the easiest.
Do you know where I can get the oversized plug?

The covers will interchange. The difference is:
Your '82 will have a rubber plug with a wire through it for the neutral switch, which is mounted inside the cover.
On an '81, the switch is on the side of the case next to the oil pickup screen cover.

So if you use an '81 cover, you will lose your neutral light. Go with the oversize drain plug. It's a bit of a PITA to change the front cover with the engine in the frame.

Latest posts