pilot scew

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you can remove the pilot without removing the carbs you run into the problem of the washer that protects the "O" ring from the spring (It could fall out) I have a hard time just getting one finger onto the pilot screw and I have the limiter cap removed. In the Ca. models the limiter cap will not allow the pilot ccrew to be moved more than about 7/8 of a turn. Don't ask!!!!!

I haven't tried it yet, but I think a person could use a dremel with a cutting blade and cut off the tab on the limiter. Once that is done, if the screw is free moving you should be able to take it out - If it isn't free moving like many of them, you could break it off. Might want to remove a few things to give you more room. I'd also consider using one of those flexible tools that fit on a drill on one end and you can slide a selection of screwdriver bits in the other. If you go slow and possibly have an assistant pull the trigger on the drill it may come out without bruising your knuckles.

No need to do the Dremel or anything like that. If you don't have one go to Radio Shack or WalMart and 15 - 20 bucks or cheaper gets you a soldering iron. If the caps are put on with the proper adhesive you have to heat the caps up to 250 degrees and they come right off. Put the heat to them and VERY lighty push on them with a thin blade screwdriver. Don't pry, if it's hot enough then they just come right off. A little patience and a little heat and they will be off. I did this about 2 weeks ago. I learned the don't pry thing onthe very first one. Pushed too hard and whenit popped off I thought I stabbed the screwdriver thru the engine. The other 3 I waited and a light push and it slid right off.

Heath

The soldering gun worked really well on 3 of the screws. I left it on for 2 minutes and the caps slide right off. On the #1 carb the cap simply fell off along with the top of the pilot screw. I think a previous owner or the manufacturer must have broken it and glued it back on. Oh well, it turns easily so I should be able to back it out even though it is broken. Thanks again!