possible new project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdegase

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 84 virago 1000
not as a replacement for the wing, but more for a "fix and seller"
got a good deal on one.
also might get a good price on an old triumph bonneville.
anyone got suggestions, comments, or opinions on the yamaha?
basically I can get it for 400$ and all I can see it needs is the basic stuff, and maybe some tlc.
tires brakes battery, and maybe a front fender.
right front turn signal lens is broke, but the signal is still there.
its all black, not rusty, low miles, and ran when parked.
I'm told the starter was bad, and they push started it for a couple days. then took the starter out and never got it back in right.

i almost bought a virago once it was the 1100 cc model i think it ran well after i tweaked it and they decided to keep it .....realy thats all i was doing anyway ....i didnt want it ....they needed it .....but could not fix it ....and i didnt want them to sell it for that reason ....last i knew it was still going....it was a good ride i thought......

bonneville hmmmm....thats neat id get that even if i couldnt fix for anything but an anchor......but i would try.... :mrgreen:

jdegase":dlkb2doo said:
...and ran when parked.

Famous last werds.... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Sounds like a good deal. I'd be more interested in the Bonney! :yes:

The Virago has a hit & miss starter from new. Nice bikes when they run. Carbs can be a real pain to set up or clean because of their location. Still I might give it a shot for that price. Now a Bonny I could afford I'd be all over it.

I sure loved my 84. I rode that old beasty for a couple of years 12 month a year in Toronto, Ont. Only time I didn't ride was when there was snow on the ground. The po on mine had over bored the 1000 to 1134cc That bike was Mean, but it never let me down. Wish I still had it. :beg: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I had a 920 Virago .... this was in the late 80's ... most of them have Starter Problems...... and a New starter for mine back then was over $300 . I bought one......and in less than a year the New one WENT OUT......., and then ....... I SOLD IT . :smilie_happy:

I have a link to a good Virago forum if you need it. Be sure to post some pictures if you get the bikes.

:mrgreen: My wife claimed my 700 Virago before I'd even got it home! :smilie_happy: At first I was :head bang: But then I had an excuse to buy more bikes :yahoo:

Latest posts