Potential carbs issue

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
The last time that this bike ran was in jan 2019,as far as I know.at the time it would idle on choke but when given throttle it would die.now that I have it,all it will do is putt putt for 2 or 3 seconds on choke and die.I'm 99.9% sure the carbs need gone thru,but before I do,could there be another issue involved here?btw,new filter and hoses to pump installed snd new plugs.thanks

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

When you need to use the choke to idle, that means all of the idle jets are clogged. Cleaning the carbs is a must at this point. I use a cheap ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water and a few drops of Dawn dish washing detergent with great success!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Thanks mac,I kinda figured that.ill add em to the list.

You could always pull off the gas line to the carb and check the flow rate. Ditto spraying some starter fluid down the throat and seeing if it runs briefly.

I'd bet on the carbs being the issue, but both those tests are easy enough to do.

In my limited experience, once a motorcycle's carbs are clogged enough that it won't run, a rebuild is the only solution. Especially on something like the Goldwing, where there's four carbs.

It is one of those lessons you learn over time - anything that sits for months needs to be properly prepped.

Carbs duster...the stock carbs idle through the tube pass the carb butterfly ..when this gets clog up it won't idle ..sometimes that passage is so clog up people never get it cleaned to work right ..once alcohol was put in gas these carbs really suffered badly ..there lean to begain with and leaner with alcohol gas..it just trashes the passages in these carbs ..if you get it running good use ate always in gas to keep carbs clean in my opinion

Another voice in the choir. Anymore, this crappy gas…what they pass as gas… (pun intended) boils off or evaporates and leaves sludge behind, and it seems it only takes a couple of weeks sometimes for that to happen. Then after it has happened, the longer it sits the more like concrete it becomes. Carbs need to come off. Make sure you get those slow jets out and clean or you’ll be doing it again.

I haven't had a problem with ethanol so far, but I do use fuel stabilizer in the motorcycle in winter, and make sure to fill it up the tank to the brim. Less air means less moisture. Moisture is ethanol's main flaw.

There's a lot of opinions on running carbs dry, but I find in my state, by the time spring rolls around, everything has evaporated in the carbs anyways.

Quick update,pulled the carbs yesterday and they are nasty.I hope chem-dip gets em clean.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218512#p218512:1ha7qlwm said:
Dusterdude » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:25 pm[/url]":1ha7qlwm]
Quick update,pulled the carbs yesterday and they are nasty.I hope chem-dip gets em clean.

Doubtful. More likely to screw them up. Ultrasonic, boiling, forced carb cleaner spray through passages and mechanical cleaning (carefully - don't scratch!) of jets is best.

Yea,Im thinking an ultrasonic cleaner is in my future

I went boiling instead of ultrasonic because I didn't want to buy and store an ultrasonic cleaner. All I needed to pay for was some electricity for the stove.

But I'm convinced it's less how you do it, and more about double checking the results.

I did ultrasonic on Hunley and the CB750F. Boiled the '79 carbs then ultrasonic on the latest '78 rescue. I was OK with the boiling but they didn't look as nice as the ultrasonic cleaned racks. After burning up a free US cleaner from work doing the 750F I tried the boiling on the '79 which had functioning (but in need of cleaning) carbs. I then bought an ultrasonic that is big enough to hold two carbs joined by their garnish.

How much did you pay for the big cleaner?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218558#p218558:dzar5m8m said:
Dusterdude » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:29 pm[/url]":dzar5m8m]
How much did you pay for the big cleaner?

$113.59 - ebay 10 liter back in December.

Ok,have a 6 liter cleaner coming from amazon.honestly,the chem-dip didn't appear to do a bad job,but I'm going to run em thru the ultrasonic too.