Problem with "starter spin but wont turn the motor"--- HELP!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manny1127

Reaction score
hey
i need help with my 1983 amazing 1100cc goldwing.
after standing awhile in my garage, i tried to start my goldwing but all i could hear its the sound of my starter spin but the motor not.
i did some homework :read: and i change the 3 springs, sleeves and the 3 small rollers ( i bought new ones), but still i have the same problem.
i even change the fly wheel but still the same.
i have asked few goldwing professional but it seems that no one knows how to solve it, its looks like no one experienced such problem before.
is there is someone here that can help?
again: the stater spins the chain but wont spin the motor, new flywheel, new parts but still the same problem, the starter wont spin the motor.
thank you
:beg:

Welcome to the site manny1127! :clapping:

I might be wrong, but I think the starter clutch is not engaging. Are you on the center stand, or side stand? When it is cold here and my oil is thick, the starter clutch will not always engage and the starter spins freely. Sometimes, I put my bike on the side stand and it kicks right in. I it sounds dumb, but it has worked for me.

You might want to put your location in your profile. Someone may live close to you that can help.
See mcgovern61 post above. My suggestion; add Seafoam (directions on the can) to the oil; push to start; ride for 100 miles or so then change the oil and filter.

WELCOME
Im going to agree with mcgovern and wichita.
When it gets cool up here,below 50 and Ive not started the bike in a few days I will have the same issue,but only momentarally.
With fresh battery and oil it never happens.

thank you all for your replay
i have already pull the motor out and its on a table with the starter/alternator cover out.
i tried to start the motor without the cover. do you think that i should put everything back and try to start it?
i don't wont to install the motor back just to find out that i need to pull it again from the bike.
do you think that the starter wont spin the motor if the cover is open?
please dont think that i am rude... just don't know exactly what to do
thank you again

Is the starter spinning the wrong direction?
I've had 2 that did.

I dont remember which direction it should turn but if you turn the chain by hand you'll feel it engage in one direction but free wheel the other direction.
Check that and let us know.
I'm about a 1/2 hour away, maybe could ride over.

Tory":2fzlvp07 said:
That would make cents dan,but what would make the starter spin backwards?

Evidently this same starter is used on an engine which turns the other direction.
The 2 starters I had which turned reversed of ours had a different brush plate which reversed the polarity.

Welcome Manny... I would do as Dan has suggested.. grab the starter chain and pull in both directions.. the one that becomes hard to turn is the direction the motor is engaged when the starter kicks in.. is this a replacement starter or was it in the bike when you got it and did it work prior to this, or did you get it with this condition?? that would resolve a few questions we all are not asking but thinking about..

I asked Manny to follow up on this post but I guess he got busy so I'll do it. :roll:

I loaned him a starter to test and compare and it turned out his starter WAS turning backwards.

For reference, the 1000 and 1100 starter must spin Clockwise when looking at the starter output shaft.

What else does that particular starter "fit"...does anyone know off-hand?
It may "fit" on another bike that has the starter facing the other direction, or even on the other side of the engine.
I guess that would make it a good idea to check it before installing.
Also...could the brush leads be swapped to change the rotation without a major hassle? :read:

Brush leads would have to be reversed but on the 2 I had that appeared to be next to impossible without a different brush plate, just not enough space under that cover for any extra wire.

There's something to be said about the old saying, "You learn something new every day around here..." :mrgreen: :clapping:

Got that right... and it took someone who had that happen to point in the right direction.. Dan was that on the bike from the time he got it or did he order a new one??? Guess what I am asking did the bike ever start and run before with that starter in it??

He said this is the same starter it's had on it all along and did turn the engine but, after sitting a few weeks the problem started, that's why he changed out the starter clutch.

My take on it is he must have replaced the starter or had it worked on because I dont think it's possible for an electric motor to suddenly reverse rotation.
I pulled the brush end off the starter, he said his looks much different so that splains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.