Pulling starter question on Stella (1986 Gl1200 aspy)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryinmich57

Reaction score
I think I need to rebuild the starter on Stella, Charger says full charge on battery but you can almost count the compression strokes when she rolls to start.
So I don't have any fear of rebuilding it but is it true that on 1986s 1200 that the starter gear in the chain will stay where it is
or do I have to worry about it falling back into the case and out of position?
Thanks Jerry

There could be some minor differences on an 1200 but I just did this on my 1100.
Yes the drive gear (cog) stays on the drivechain inside the recess on rear engine cover.
It can be easily removed from the drive chain if need be. I can't see how anyone could lose the drive gear into the abyss but
perhaps it is possible.
I had mine in and out multiple times with no issue.

Thanks for the info Terry.
And yes flash cables looks good.
Went out today to check it out threw the voltmeter on the battery and it showed 11.22 volts and after I had it running yesterday and voltmeter showing 14.2 volts while running
then after shutting her down i unhooked the neg. cable (so no drain on battery overnight)
So now I am thinking battery went bad over winter.
I think I will check on one of those a.g.m. battery before I count out the starter.
Will post results after I get one.
Thanks again Jerry

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168340#p168340:12a10i7r said:
jerryinmich57 » Today, 1:28 pm[/url]":12a10i7r]
Thanks for the info Terry.
And yes flash cables looks good.
Went out today to check it out threw the voltmeter on the battery and it showed 11.22 volts and after I had it running yesterday and voltmeter showing 14.2 volts while running
then after shutting her down i unhooked the neg. cable (so no drain on battery overnight)
So now I am thinking battery went bad over winter.
I think I will check on one of those a.g.m. battery before I count out the starter.
Will post results after I get one.
Thanks again Jerry

FYI: Even though the battery showed only 11.22 volts after sitting overnight that does not necessarily mean the battery is bad.
It could be that possibly an add on accessory or something slowly draining it down.

I think a better battery test for you is a load test, it determines the health of your battery when it's used under heavy amp draw like a starter.
It can tell you if it has a dead cell etc.

It seems your charging system is in pretty good order according the the voltage you posted about measure taken while it's running of 14.2 volts.

1.You can the battery to an auto parts center and have them load test it.

2.You can buy an inexpensive load test tool from a place like Harbor Freight.

3.You can connect your voltage meter leads and watch for voltage drop as you engage the starter. Chances are if a fully charged battery drops down to 10 volts or less when you perform this test it needs to be replaced.

It may vary, my bike when fully charged (it lives on a battery tender), will briefly drop to just above 11 volts like 11.3 when read while engaging the starter.

I will see if I can get it load tested but it dropped to 11.22 volts overnight with neg. cable disconnected right after shutdown (no draw on battery at all)
14.2 volts is alt.conversion I did back a couple years ago so that is still doing well.
I would have to charge it again to check voltage while cranking as she will only roll about 1 time now.
Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=168348#p168348:w6wm6cy5 said:
jerryinmich57 » 1 minute ago[/url]":w6wm6cy5]
I will see if I can get it load tested but it dropped to 11.22 volts overnight with neg. cable disconnected right after shutdown (no draw on battery at all)
14.2 volts is alt.conversion I did back a couple years ago so that is still doing well.
I would have to charge it again to check voltage while cranking as she will only roll about 1 time now.
Jerry

Oh, I didn't realize it was disconnected and dropped overnight.
Sounds like you may be on the right track about it being bad.

Most of these batteries have a very limited life no matter how well you care for them. I agree the battery is probably the culprit here.

Sounds like it. :roll: A G M's by Deka have been very good to me over the years, 7- 10 years life span. :yes:

yes gear will stay in place 1200 has guides to keep chain from moving. I would check your battery first though, just because it reads 12 volts or more with a meter does not mean it has the cca's to start your bike. you could rebuild the starter and still have slow rotation because battery has no reserve power, checking with a meter is no indication of a batteries state.

This video shows how the starter cog is held in place. Yes you can change the starter without fear of losing the gear off the chain. Although, sounds like the battery is the likely culprit.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3rRRO8t5o8[/video]