Pulse Generator: Attempting to Loacate for 1984 GL1200A

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiddyupDaddy

Reaction score
Riding home bike began to run like bad fuel. Changed plugs and filter , started right up , rode about a mile started to sputter and stopped running all together. Sat @ 5 minutes, started right up , ran couple hundred yards then stopped again. Started right up went about 100 yards then stopped running and has not run since. Coils appear to be good, no spark at plugs. Number one problem , no Honda near me wants to work on bikes older than 10 years old. Number two, this particular part ( pulse generator )is hard to locate. I am hoping I " do not " have to pull the engine to replace. Looking to replace only the relays/resistors wiring they come with not the entire unit. Beautiful bike sitting on the sidelines.

The '84 pulser coils might be the same as the 1100's use. I know there's no vacuum or centrifugal advance, since it's computer controlled. Check the 4-pin connector between the pulser unit and the main harness - I'm guessing it's on the front of the battery tray like the 1100's. There should be continuity through each coil. Sorry, I don't know the wire colors. Also check the connection at the ignition control module. Hopefully, you just have a dirty or loose connection somewhere.

Oh, and welcome from Southern California!

First... Welcome from North TEXAS DFW area.... next.. if I understand correctly the pulse generators are in the rear of the motor.. I am sure those who have replaced before will comment

Welcome to the fun. C5 ignition is a good option here. I'm almost certain the 1100 pickups will fit and work but C5 will give you an all new ignition. None of your stock ignition will be used. With small hands you can replace the pickups with the motor and the swingarm in place but you still need to remove the rear wheel, fuel tank , bags, and fender. As well as the seat so it is probably easiest to remove the motor.

Welcome to CGW. May or may not be the pulse generators, I'd get out the manual or view the ones in our gallery here for your model bike and perform the tests to narrow down the gremlin before I went to the trouble of pulling and engine. There are other, easier to get to electrical parts that could be heating up and causing the problem.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117438#p117438:3cky1crl said:
backlander » Sun May 11, 2014 2:17 pm[/url]":3cky1crl]
Welcome to CGW. May or may not be the pulse generators, I'd get out the manual or view the ones in our gallery here for your model bike and perform the tests to narrow down the gremlin before I went to the trouble of pulling and engine. There are other, easier to get to electrical parts that could be heating up and causing the problem.
:good: +1 check the easy stuff first.

IF it is JUST the pulse generators, you can change them with the engine in the frame, without removing the tire/swingarm. It's a tight fit, but you can remove the cover, and unscrew the pulsers, and pull them out. You cannot remove the housing, but I think there is enough room to remove the pulse generators themselves. This is assuming the '84 engine/frame clearances are the same as my '81 is back there. If you can confirm the generators are the problem, I'd give that a shot before ripping the engine out.....but that's just me. :whistling: