Putting bike on center stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that my 'Wing gets heavier the older it gets. I used to be able to pop it right up on the center stand with no problems. Now that it is a few years older, it has apparently gained a lot of weight, and is a little harder to coax up.... :blush:

I know mine has gained weight! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
now.jpg

Every little thing that makes the bike higher helps. I noticed that even having a new tire makes it easier to get on the centerstand. One common mistake for people not familiar with center stands make is they tend to pull pack on the bike. Pulling straight up with your right hand makes it easer-the backward motion will happen naturally. Also, do not try to lift with your arm or back, use your legs. Do not think of it as lifting, think of it as vertically spreading the distance from the grab bar to the center stand lever. Stay as close to the bike as possible-the center stand is very stable. Other than that it is simply a matter of synchronizing your push-down with your foot and your pull-up (straight up) with your hand. Parking slightly uphill when possible helps and the harder the surface the better. Rocking the bike also helps if you time it well.

Heck, I can do it barefoot.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83142#p83142:2fq5u02v said:
Retroyz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 am[/url]":2fq5u02v]Every little thing that makes the bike higher helps. I noticed that even having a new tire makes it easier to get on the centerstand. One common mistake for people not familiar with center stands make is they tend to pull pack on the bike. Pulling straight up with your right hand makes it easer-the backward motion will happen naturally. Also, do not try to lift with your arm or back, use your legs. Do not think of it as lifting, think of it as vertically spreading the distance from the grab bar to the center stand lever. Stay as close to the bike as possible-the center stand is very stable. Other than that it is simply a matter of synchronizing your push-down with your foot and your pull-up (straight up) with your hand. Parking slightly uphill when possible helps and the harder the surface the better. Rocking the bike also helps if you time it well.

Heck, I can do it barefoot.

All great advice.
Remember when you load up all those saddle bags that you are making it harder to get up onto the centerstand. :rant:

Very important note here...!!!! Be sure your rear shocks have air in them! If they are low on air, the bike sits lower and it is 10 times harder to get up on the center stand! :Doh2: (Not that I ever forgot to put air in my rear shocks and had trouble getting the old girl up on the center stand on anything....) :hihihi:

It is a pain to get my 79 up on center, but my 83 is so easy.
Now that I am bagging and putting a fairing on the 79 I have been dreading the center stand. I hate side stand parking for any period of time like overnights. Also I never use the side stand when pulling off the center. I had a bad situation from that once. I just make sure I have a wide foot stance and brake at the ready. It does help to be 6' 1" and the seat is a lowish profile seat.

Yes, Puting the 1000 thru 1200's on the center stands is usually a chore. The older wings would smoke a bit after being on the side stand for a while, thus, the center stand. Man, what a hassle to rock it off. Front brake on the ready when rocking forward, feet on the ground for stability. Doesn't always happen the first time, or the second.
I really was hoping some ingenious person had chopped off a bit from the original center stand and would offer the best advice on the right way to go about this process. Or, even if there is a ride off stand readily available somewhere. I have heard of one that fits up front but don't know if mods need to be made or if it is plug & play, as they say, bolt on.
My 85 LTD is heavier than my 05 electraglide classic. I have bolted on a show/ride off stand on the "dark side" ride and I really like it alot.

Cool.... I would like to get a front ride off stand for my LTD. Not sure that once ordered, they are specific as to what model 1200 that they fit. I am finding out that the LTD is a different animal for some applications.
Sure would be nice to unbolt or otherwise remove the clunky center stand if i can score a ride off stand. Less weight I would think as an end result.

I would have to see if the "legs" can be shortend, will the shorter length interfere with it still going up and tucking away. Then again, yes, it would also be nice to take it completely off in favor of a ride off mounted and put away neatley.