Question about coils

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
I have 80 gl1100 but during trouble shooting that turned out to be carb knock. I think !! I changed to a spare set of 82 coils. On one of the postsI read it was minched that you would run on a full 12 volts. will this change cause any problems. Also changed to 82 cdi"s.When .I took off 80 cdi's some of the epoxy was mealted but there was no change in the way it ran. So .I think the 80 cdi were still working ok. I have heard that if you catch them soon enough you refill with hi tem sicone???? But main question is the coil change ok or should I change back to 80 coils. For longer coil life and other issues with electronics that I don't know about.

for the most part coils are stand alone units. i use 1200 coils on my 1000, and on my 1100. reason being the wires can be replaced on them. the output of the coil effects the intensity of the spark. the input is, for the most part just a trigger from what ever timing device being used. i.e. points, electronic . i would not think the 82 coils would cause any problems

i think the melting is a problem and the coils from an 82 sould have a ballist on them .....this is a hot topic right now ....but there is no hook up for it on the 80-81 wiring ...so id say the coils are the same and id say you need to go to the 80 cdi unit also that the wiring is made for also ...but the are more assumptions than concrete knowing for sure

Latest posts