question on timeing belt change

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Useing littlebeaver's timeing belt method. I like it. Just have a few questions. I have some slack on top of belt on right side on engine between cam pully and crank pully.A lot more than slack on bottom on left side. Couldn't seem to get any more of the slack out. Can that mean right side of engine could be off one tooth. Marks seem to be on the mark. But slack on top on top of right side has me worried. Also didn't have as much slack on adjuster's as in video. Very hard to get belts on I had to loosen bolt's way out so adjusters could tilt to get belt's on. and spring's are stretdhed a lot. Turned over with stator bolt several times . I changed adjusters I have 80 1100 but I had adjusters from 82 1100 are they the same they looked the same. I think I need to check a parts fitch to be sure. It seem's I may get in to big a hurry sometimes and need to things in right order!!! Need advise please.

Haven't learned to post pic's yet.But I got slack out and I think I'm good to go. It seem's that last 1/2 or noch is hard to get out. Make a difference on how hard the belt's go on. Thanks for the quick replys

I've found on mine the side that has the slack on top (can't remember which side that is) always seems to have more slack than the other.
As long as the timing marks are lined up and the tensioner spring adjusted the tension on the belt you should be good to go unless the tensioner springs are fatigued and stretched out.

I will check springs again haven't buttoned it up yet. slack is about 1/4 inch and marks seem to be on. Rotated several times and thing's seem ok . I haven't put timeing belts on in a long time last time was on my 77 gl1000 or had to work on bike much. Untill this restoration on 80 gl1100. I think I'm just about finished . Wating on new tier's to come in. One did today, wating on front to appear. Thanks for the replys

Latest posts