Race Tech cartridge emulators; anyone using them? Idle jet question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going through my 81' Interstate this year. I've never had it on the road except to ride it home.I looked at Progressive's site for new springs and I saw cartridge emulaters. Has anyone used them and does it make a difference? I'm going to put springs and seals in the forks and figure the time to add the emulater would be at the same time. Next question; I just finished cleaning and rebuilding my carbs using Randakks kit. On the last carb I cleaned the idle jet was plugged solid and cleaner and air wouldn't clean it. Ended up using Littlebeaver's method of pulling it with an easyout so I could clean it. Fortunately it worked. I did check the other carb passages when I cleaned them and they all passed fluid thru the idle jet circuit. Now I'm wondering if I should go back and pull the other 3 idlejets so they can be cleaned as thoroughly as the one I had to pull before I put the rack on the bike. Your insights and opinions on this are greatly appreciated, Steve.

Passing gas through the jet isn't enough, it needs to be enough metered fuel so you should go back in and do the other 3 and make sure every one of the holes and the hole thru the center is completely clear.

I'm a moron. I can't post a link to progressive because that's the wrong site( sorry ). I was on the Race Tech site. The part number for the cartridge fork emulator is FEGVS3801 ($169.99). If you press "More" on the upper RH corner of their home page and click on "suspension bible " you can read about how this product works. Sorry about the confusion.

Guys who have the Racetech emulators claim they help. I just don't know enough to comment on them, but have considered it a worthwhile addition. I didn't realize they made them for Goldwings. If they're like the Magnas, they require a little machine work.

dan filipi":wo7j7xfp said:
Passing gas through the jet isn't enough, it needs to be enough metered fuel so you should go back in and do the other 3 and make sure every one of the holes and the hole thru the center is completely clear.

I passed gas in a jet once...it was more than enough! :oops:

I have used a welding tip cleaner to clean out jets before and it worked well. They are basically a tiny wire file. You can get one with several sizes at sears for less than tool set with several sizes for less than $10.

I'll check that out. I have something similar to that but it's too big so I stole an insulin syringe from my cat to help clean the passages. This works out for me as I've been too busy to finish the project. Thanks, Steve.