Ratios/rpm/speed

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this thread because I didn't want to tack it on the end of one of the threads where this has been discussed.

I often read 1100's are doing 70mph @ 4,000rpm. My bike is doing only 60mph @ 4k... Does this indicate a problem? The PO had 3 other classic wings of varying engine displacements, could he have mucked something up? I remember there was a 1000 with 1200 forks and front wheel.

~O~

~O~ sounds like your bike has a 80-81 motor in it .......

80-81 5000 at 7omph
82- 4000 at 70mph
83-3600 at 70mph

lots of different gearing on the 1100s more so than any other model of wing.....

nothing wrong at all ~O~except that it has a motor change in it.....

My '81, which is stock as far as I know, tachs 5000rpms @ 75 mph. :yes:

~O~, I have an '83 engine with an '82 rear and I get 68 MPH at 4000 RPM. When I had the '81 engine and the '82 rear I was getting 70 MPH at 5100 RPM.

I was wondering the same thing- most of my riding is low-speed backroads- I mean like 45 max- I had the problem recently where my bike started puking oil on my right foot intermitently so I was trying to ride a bunch of different places and speeds- My '80 STD was turning 5K @ 70 and I was wondering if that was right- seemed high but fits right in with what you posted Joedrum-

So my '80 is geared for acceleration not cruising or touring- And the '83 is geared for touring- if the rear is the same but an '83 turns 1000 rpm lower at the same speed Honda must have really lowered the output gearing in 5th gear on the '83 vs. the '80. That seems to fit with Honda's target- before '80 super-street bike- By '83 going for the touring market... That works for me because my STD won't be going on any trips longer than 100 miles or so and those will be on the two-lanes- It's not that fun on the interstate anyway- too much blast without fairing, etc- I'll give it a year or so and start working on my wife for a full-dresser...

kirkwilson":adlz180d said:
That works for me because my STD won't be going on any trips longer than 100 miles or so and those will be on the two-lanes- It's not that fun on the interstate anyway- too much blast without fairing, etc- I'll give it a year or so and start working on my wife for a full-dresser...
I'd love to have a standard for running around town! But I love my Vetter faring at 75+ MPH on the highway.

As a coincidence, in my '81 standard, I found a replacemment engine is an '83 which has slightly different gearing mated to my '81's original final drive... I have done some research and found not only the trans gear ratios are different between the two but also the secondary reduction and the final drive specs as well.

Lower 1st gear (2.642 compared to 2.500), YEAH!
Same 2nd (1.667)
Taller 3rd (1.20 vs 1.286)
Taller 4th (1.00 vs 1.065)
And taller overdrive 5th (0.829 vs 0.909)
My '81s final drive is not quite as low as an '83s this engine was originally mated to (3.091 vs 3.10) ....
Now figure in the secondary reduction within the engine to trans connection on an '83 (0.897 vs 0.973).
That lower first and the loss of weight will help me out of the hole at the stop lights, but you can see she's a hybrid suited for top end out on the highway... at least I shouldn't be looking for 6th gear!

yea hoosier im not sure how to crunch the number on the secondary reduction figure but im guessing that the 83 with its lower gear is actuly taller than the 81 1st gear .....after everything is figure in ......

ive got a good 80 motor that im thinking of putting a 83 transmision in ....now that will be a low gear for off the line and a top gear to match the 82 1100 4000 rpm at 70mph ......

:headscratch: :idea: :mrgreen:

I have 80 &81 1100s both stock as far as I know. So if I'm reading this right. I should be running about 65mph at 4500rpm?

yeah and the 1000 has lowest fifth gear too ....but its secondary reduction is the tallest of all wings at 725 ....the mongruel had the 1000 motor with 80-81 final drive and comes out taller than the 83 1100 by a couple hundred rpm ...about 3500rpm at 70 mph :mrgreen:

"O" I would think so. I've had 3 82s. I figured when the speedo cable broke (and that happened a few times) that I would be safe at 4 Grand when I passed a cop on the highway.

Toytender, I'll re-check my 80 STD but at 70 I swear I was doing around 5 grand- I'm still waiting for a replacement valve cover bolt I broke (heavy sigh) so I haven't been out for a couple weeks...

:hi: Kirk those are the readings i got yesterday....as far as i know everything is stock.....I have to belive the insterments...wheels are the correct size all seams to be normal if there is something i could check to verify speedo and tack are stock i would be happy to check would at least like to knoe if readings atr correct.....Bob