Rear Tire Recommendation

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusknight

Reaction score
I put on a new front tire a few weeks ago. Its a Dunlop Elite 3. I am looking to do the rear tire now as well. Unknown to me at the time, it appears the stock size for the rear is not avail in the Dunlop Elite 3.

Does anyone have a good tire recommendation for rear 150/90-15? I know my mechanic has a bunch of Dunlop 491s laying around, but they seem to have a different type of tread pattern. Thoughts?

yeah I was looking closer at that and apparently they call them something else rather than just 150/90-15. I find that weird.

i run a 84 rear swing arm and wheel on my 80 1100 and after several rear tires, i took advise from a friend and went with a metzler 880 re enforced and all i can say it WOW! i will never run another rear tire on a old wing except this one! just my humble opinion! I put 40,000 miles a year on my beater so to me.. well worth the investment(and i am cheeep) :shock:

My shop says they have a stock of Elite 491 tires they can put on for a tire price of 109.99. If I got the elite 3 for the rear it would be 100 dollars more. What would you do? Same tires for more money? Or Mix and Match to save 100 bucks?

I haven't had the E3s on that long to know if it will be worth it, the E2s I had were worth it, they seemed to have better wet traction than the 491s I had, but it's a tough call

I'm a little concerned that the 491 tires may have been sitting around for a few years. Because they have been discontinued. Does anyone see that being a problem? The tires are unused.

Michelin commander 2's are very nice tires, have a set with 4,000+ on my 84 standard, & still look great!!! Tires get old & don't work well in my experience, even if new but old when bought, but others may & do disagree i'm sure.

The tyres on my wing are new over 15 years old, the still have the little whiskers from the moulding process, they have just been taken off so the wheel can be blasted Powdered and the outer rim polished, they are really hard, the side walls are super stiff. Will I use them no, I just don't trust them. What any one else does is fine with me, if some one asked for the tyre I would refuse them, I know that somewhere down the line and not too far either something will happen. My life is worth the £150 for a pair of new tyres. Try buying tyres for my VW they just cost me £700. for the four.

Tyres are just on item that I have to trust in all weathers, almost every tyre will perform in the dry, it's the wet grip and safety which I decide is the chief factor. :good:

A little off topic but I have a question. Has anyone tried a radial rear tire with bias ply front tire? I'm wondering how the handling would be.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150722#p150722:1o347wwb said:
sgq700 » June 10th, 2015, 6:22 pm[/url]":1o347wwb]
i run a 84 rear swing arm and wheel on my 80 1100 and after several rear tires, i took advise from a friend and went with a metzler 880 re enforced and all i can say it WOW! i will never run another rear tire on a old wing except this one! just my humble opinion! I put 40,000 miles a year on my beater so to me.. well worth the investment(and i am cheeep) :shock:

Was the swap to the 84 rearend pretty much a bolt on affair?
Thanks

yes it is a rather bolt and go affair ....but includes wheel ....rotors ...brake calipers...brake bracket...spacers....drive shaft ....u joint and final drive also....with more work you can use 1500 final ....wheel and rotor ...plus brake bracket....brake calipers are the same ....

the hooch bike has had just about all the final drives on it 1000...1100 it has now ....1200...and 1500 and 1800 has been fitted not all the parts for those to roll with yet....there are threads here that talk of them all ....

Does it end up with a ratio change to it in the process? I have heard conflicting things and was going to research it vs overall tire sizes which I haven't done either. In the short amount (around 800 miles) that I put on mine I don't have any complaints really. I had a bad wheel on one of the rigs, so put some case wheels off of an 83 on it. Thinking of the next step for the remaining stocker.