rear wheel bearing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, when I was working on my 1200 back wheel and I notice the PO put a washer between the bearing and the seal. I took the seal off and pull the bearing out. What I notice is there is lots of room for a wider bearing so I think the PO put a washer there to take up the space. In the parts list they show two different numbers for the rear bearing, is it possible there are two different sizes, one larger than the other.

flash i am sure the po put the washer in to to tighten it up ...gee it always me who says this stuff ...honda really screwed up the 1200 rear wheel ...most say its only 84-85 wheels ..but thats bs too...seems any yr cans have the problem ....seems they address this with different bearing so you might be right ...the one 1200 wheel i have is fine so i havnt messed with it ... seems the 1200 final drive can take the 1500 wheel with a few mods made and seems to be the real fix ....if the wheel isnt loose or otherwise is ok i wouldnt take the washer out...

i really dont have hand on knowledge here flash but i am fixing to ...seems the tallk says the single bearing set up is not long enough ...as talk goes the 1500 wheel has double bearing support ...as v says his wheel on his standard is loose now ....dose yours have play in it when off the ground ?

What others have written about this is that Honda increased the size of the bearing. The implication is that they knew of a problem and this was to fix it. I cannot remember if it was a wider bearing or a larger diameter. That is why there are two numbers. You may want to measure what yours is. Some owners had there rims refitted for the larger bearing. It's possible that someone ordered the wrong bearing and used the washer as a remedy. You may have to investigate further.

Well I measured the bearings and they are the right size. Since the rear flange was in bad shape ( finish ), I think he might have put the washer there to push the flange in further to take up the play. :headscratch: